I'd Pay Good Money For a Tilt Steering Wheel In A 124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WDB124066

MB Enthusiast
Car
1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
.......similar to the R129 and W140's. If someone like Rob Parker put together a kit how many people would be interested........??

1) WDB

+1 on that but it would have to be OEM spec with the same casings switches etc

i'm assuming the 129 and 140 have in/out adjustment aswell? That would be more worth while on the 124 rather than just an up down movement you can currently get.

Last edited:
There was an electric wheel adjustment option on the 124. Very rare and I dont know which way it moved the wheel. In my opinion up/down is not necessary but reach adjustment would be nice. The driving position is so good its not really a big issue. Just arrived back in Italy after 1,000 miles in one day and feel could have done many more.

.......similar to the R129 and W140's. If someone like Rob Parker put together a kit how many people would be interested........??

1) WDB

Id be interested to :thumb:

1) WDB
2) d w124

There was an electric wheel adjustment option on the 124. Very rare and I dont know which way it moved the wheel.

I have electric steering column on my E300D estate. Its a useful feature. Only adjusts for reach, not up/down.

Ooo now that would be a neat mod :devil:

mine was fitted as an option when new, but to retrofit its quite easy IIRC.... just a 2nd hand column, the switch/column trim and some wiring is needed. i am sure there was a how to on one of the forums once too.

saying all of that, i can count on my hand how many times i've adjusted it in the 3 years i've owned the car....

i want it on mine!

tilt and reach somebody hook me up!

I have electric steering column on my E300D estate. Its a useful feature. Only adjusts for reach, not up/down.

I still have the original price list. That adjustment cost £402.43! Options in those days were much more expensive than now. For example Climate control £2500. Your car must have cost a fortune when new.

Yes the car has some nice spec; ortho seats, electric steering column, climate control, auto dim mirror, vanity mirrors, cruise, electric seats, alloys. Not bad spec for a diesel in 1994.

I am not referring to fitting a car with an extendable wheel. That is easy enough done with standard parts and could be the topic of another forum posting.

I am talking about fitting a car with up and down adjustment. It is required. The 124 Cabs and Coupes do not have the same room as the sedans. The wheel in the two door versions is set too high for tall people and it really should have been an option to have it lowerable (is that a word!). The 129 and the 140 have the feature and the 124 should have had it too, at least an option should have been made available.

In lieu of this I was wondering if it were possible to mix and match the 140 and 124 columns to see if it could be done. I'd imagine this really would be down to people in the trade, I could not imagine people with a 40 hour a week job, children and limited access to parts to go through the many hours of trial and error required. Payback of course would be the option to sell the mod.

1) WDB
2) BillyW124
3) d w124
4) NW Merc

Last edited:
but with the 124 seats being able to adjust "every whichway" as standard, I cannot see the problem you are trying to solve.

All it does is add more weight and more complexity, and something else that can cause a problem.

Think Lotus, 'lean and mean'.

but with the 124 seats being able to adjust "every whichway" as standard, I cannot see the problem you are trying to solve.

All it does is add more weight and more complexity, and something else that can cause a problem.

Think Lotus, 'lean and mean'.

i do find the steering wheel position on the coupe a bit 'high' for my liking.

ive tried all possible combos with my seat adjusting, at times im happy with the positioning and other days not so.

The tilt up/down would defo be handy. In my case would like my steering wheel to be lower for sure.

I am thinking about my back, and you are right, unless you are a great big tall chappy you are not really going to understand what I am on about.

I'd be happy if you could undo the top mounts and drop it 2 -3 inches using washers.........??

I am thinking about my back, and you are right, unless you are a great big tall chappy you are not really going to understand what I am on about.

I'd be happy if you could undo the top mounts and drop it 2 -3 inches using washers.........??

im not that tall, but totally agree 2 or 3 inches in my currrent seat position would be perfect.

Won't it be worse for tall drivers as they will presumably (like me) have the seat at its lowest setting :confused:

Yes, and the seat will be back a long way too.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom