Ideas for a decent backbox to unleash the V8!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

teemsta

Car
1999 CLK 430
I absolutely love the noise my 430 makes, but am thinking of getting a new back box to unleash that fantastic V8 a bit more.

Prefferably a twin exit (non of this industrial drainpipe rubbish :p), that will improve the noise without setting of car alarms and causing nose bleeds :D.

Has anyone fitted an aftermarket exhaust that they could recommend? I have seen a couple of 430's with AMG stamped outlets, which look pretty nice.....

Also don't want it to stick out a mile either!

Cheers :D

I've just put a CLK 55 backbox on mine , the 430 V8 mid-pipe is the same diameter as the 55 , so bolts straight on , no fuss ....

Sounds incredible .....

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=61682&highlight=backbox

Only problem you are going to have is getting hold of one , they are expensive from the dealers new , best to keep your beadies peeled on Ebay ...

Try Ebay germany too , lots more AMG kit on there ...

I have a backbox I took off my CLK 55 AMG before I sold it. It is custom-made so flows better than the highly restrictive standard AMG one. Had Powerflow build it. The tips look more like the W209 CLK 55 ones ie slightly bigger. It is slightly louder but not idiotic.

If you're interested, PM me.

Ha Ha !!

I wouldn't call it ' highly restrictive ' , but i understand that it's a part of your sales patter ... :eek:

Be warned there was an amendment to the MOT rules at the begining of this month, a stester can now fail your car if its exhaust is louder than a standard exhaust in average condition as fitted to your model of vehicle.

Section 7.1
Change to criteria for assessing exhaust noise in that the level of noise should be checked at all engine speeds required for the exhaust emissions check. Also, that the vehicle should be failed if the noise emitted is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition.

obviolsy the definition of "unreasonably loud" is still down to the individual tester as it was before, but now they have something to compare it to, worth thinking about, or at least keeping your original backbox just in case you need it come MOT time.

An AMG exhaust is a standard exhaust :confused:

Totally OEM , i just had my car MOT'd yesterday , no worries with it.

Won't pass the MOT with no cats ...

Now that the emissions test is computerised , they would have to put the probe into the exhaust of another car ..... very naughty ...

Would certainly put their livelihoods at risk , you must know them pretty well for them to take that risk.

some cars will pass with no cats as long as the engine is in good nick as they are low enough on the emissions anyway, i've seen it happen.

But if the car was specced with cats , surely it needs them to pass ?

Think a 5 litre V8 would fall into the category of passing with no cats ?

But if the car was specced with cats , surely it needs them to pass ?

Think a 5 litre V8 would fall into the category of passing with no cats ?

Yes, if the car has cats fitted then they should be fitted when it goes for MOT.

Doubtful! Mine was MOT`d when i picked it up so no idea on emissions but don`t think it would pass without Cats.

Bob

You dont need a cat for a UK MOT if you car can meet the emissions standards set out for it without one even if it was supplied new with a cat fitted some cars will pass, and some wont and even some cars of the same model and engine can differ, it depends how effiecient the engines design is as well as how the ecu is set up and how well the car has been treated/serviced etc, the cats are on there to get the cars past the emissions rules, there is no MOT rule that says a cat must be fitted.

Ha Ha !!

I wouldn't call it ' highly restrictive ' , but i understand that it's a part of your sales patter ... :eek:

Look at the design of the box. It's like a coiled snake inside it. The box I had designed goes straight through the silencer.

Shadowninja, I am interested but don't appear able to PM?? I am pretty new so maybe this activates after so many posts? I can always provide a webmail address?

I think you need to set your option to be able to receive mail from others which allows you to send mail.

I think you need to set your option to be able to receive mail from others which allows you to send mail.

Ok I have now activated this option in my profile so hopefully this should now work. I still am not qualified enough to send you a mail, but if drop me a quick message with details of what your after that would be great :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom