Ideas on how to spend a sum of money.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
I thought long and hard before posting this as I do not want it to come across as decadent in any way but I would really value your input and ideas

Brief history is that I have just acquired (by a bequest) a reasonable amount of money, lit is between £15,000 and £20,000.

I was just looking for ideas (and they can be as off the wall as you like!) on how you would spend it. The only ground rules here are that the money is not needed to pay fo any normal day to day expenses so may be seen as being available to treat, play, invest or any combination inbetween that you can suggest.

It certainly does not have to be used for anything motoring related or for holidays,in fact I would welcome and appreciate as many innovative ideas as you are able to come up with that I may never have thought of.

The only fixed point is that I have already decided that 10% is going to a charity of my choice.

Cheers!

I was in the same situation in 2004, and that's how/why I got my SL!

How about a barrel of recently distilled malt whisky, then keep it barrelled for as long as you fancy. 10, 12, 15 years or more. A treat for future generations or yourself ( don't know your age)

How about a barrel of recently distilled malt whisky, then keep it barrelled for as long as you fancy. 10, 12, 15 years or more. A treat for future generations or yourself ( don't know your age)

Now that is an idea:thumb:

It still would be before offical retirement as well!!!!

An SEC560 in really good condition.
My dream.

Any "added value" things need doing on the house (kitchen/bathroom/conservatory etc.)?

It's one of the surest ways of increasing it's value and therefore can be classed as an investment.

A lot depends on your financial circumstances, I'm encouraged that you are choosing to tithe it. Given the strain on incomes and the poor returns on investments, first would be to pay off or down any mortgage. Always nice to be secure in our home.

After that perhaps a luxury that you wouldn't have otherwise been able to afford. Update the car, TV, Audio. Buy a Jetski or some other toy.

A really nice watch.

Organise yourself a Top Gear type grand tour /holiday of the best European race circuits next summer e.g. Nurburgring, SPA, Monza, Le Mans and rent a normally " unaffordable " GT motor to do it in. Try to take in a couple of Grand Prix dates at the same time.-- That's if you want to blow it in a "oner":p

OR
If you want the GT experience to last a bit longer buy a nice R129.:thumb:

Any "added value" things need doing on the house (kitchen/bathroom/conservatory etc.)?

It's one of the surest ways of increasing it's value and therefore can be classed as an investment.
I was thinking home improvement too, may be a loft conversion, it'll add thousands to the value of your property.

Or pay a chunk off your mortgage?

Increase deposit contributuion for another property?

Home is a listed 16th Century cottage so a loft conversion and many other "improvements" are not possible or a lot of hassle, mortgage is paid off and financially we are comfortable and have pretty much everything we need so it is finding something or things that we want but do not need that is the challenge.

Thanks to all so far, keep the suggestions coming :)

Antiques. Some spectacular things at reasonable prices that will give joy and can't really lose.

Spend part on a hottub.

When I've had a heavy/stressful day/drive nothing beats immersing myself in 38.5C bubbly water with a large glass of red (plastic glass of course!) Ahhhhhhhhh. :thumb:

Home is a listed 16th Century cottage so a loft conversion and many other "improvements" are not possible or a lot of hassle, mortgage is paid off and financially we are comfortable and have pretty much everything we need so it is finding something or things that we want but do not need that is the challenge.

Now I have a better idea, living in a listed cottage, the insulation would be pretty poor, how about installing ground source heat pump, potentially saves you huge amount on heating, and be green as well !!

Or a home cinema 3D projector, I got one at home, its projecting 120 inch image onto a screen, you can't beat watching a good movie on it. Sky is the limit with projectors' prices, but you would not be disappointed with one costing £2-£3k.

A weekend in Amsterdam (after you've told SWMBO you're on an MBClub GTG).

You may "blow it all" ,but you'll take the memory to the grave :D.

A weekend in Amsterdam (after you've told SWMBO you're on an MBClub GTG).

You may "blow it all" ,but you'll take the memory to the grave :D.
Do not know how fit DSM10000 is??

One thing is sure though, if it was me, I'll be coming back in a coffin with cash to spare!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom