IDEAS ON: W203 underdash GPS module installation (COMAND addendum)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

miro

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 slightly modified
During your COMAND installation only
=============================

If you are using the front dashboard GPS sensor it will probably only be long enough to sit on the dashboard or hang out of the vent hole during installation.

All of the remaining parts - gear shift, gear shift cover, ashtray, main console cover, coin slot cover are already placed back.

At this stage there is only the GPS aerial and vents to deal with.

My method is this.

- Remove cluster (THANK YOU MBenzNL for sending me the tools with my COMAND) :D

- you will now locate an area beside the instrument cluster and the air vents where your hand can feel a low clearance of a flat plastic area.

- You will notice when you remove your hands that they are covered in plasticiser and other powders used in plastic making.

- with a rag and some alcohol clean the area you are interested in using. You may need to use the nylon spatula / wedge and a rag.

- you will then be able to feel the area (lightly) and see that it is a clean surface.

- you can now apply the GPS module to the under dash surface.

- if for some reason it falls of, you will notice that it is in a narrow area anyhow, so if you lack confidence, then some type of heat resistant foam packing (often used to ship ram chips and IC's for electronics) and use that to prevent poor adhesion.

CONCLUSION
==========
Simply placing the GPS sensor under the dash is not likely to work well at all. The surface does need preparation.

My sensor fits above the instrument cluster, slipped in between the top of the surround, and a thick layer of foam padding - Instrument cluster fits back in with no trouble at all, and prevents the sensor from falling out or moving.

Seems to work fine for me - great satellite reception, and no special adhesives needed.

S.

I don't get the idea of placing a aerial which requires line of sight, albeit if capable through plastic UNDER your dashboard.

I found mine worked, but worked better out in clear view.

GrahamC230K said:
I don't get the idea of placing a aerial which requires line of sight, albeit if capable through plastic UNDER your dashboard.

I found mine worked, but worked better out in clear view.

Microwaves pass through the material. to us it is solid, To a microwave sensor it is like a shower screen. Not really there at all.

Mine is under a metal gauze (speaker grating) and it works perfectly. My microwave oven in the kitchen also has a metal gauze on it to protect the casual observer from being cooked. I really hope I didn't accidently draw any incorrect conclusions from that!

Shude said:
Mine is under a metal gauze (speaker grating) and it works perfectly. My microwave oven in the kitchen also has a metal gauze on it to protect the casual observer from being cooked. I really hope I didn't accidently draw any incorrect conclusions from that!

So what you are saying is that your microwave oven is under the rear parcel shelf and you cook with the GPS sensor ? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom