Identify the motorbike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jocasta

Car
SLK 350 Obsidian Black
7e1a6024e3.jpg

can anyone ID this bike for my dad - it's my dad in the pic, but he cant remember....many thanks..

Had a quick look on Google images and it could be an Atlas. It's very similar but could be wrong.

Best info to date is it is a Norton from 1957 through 1968, but which model exactly is still being discussed. Charles may wish to let MOCAS know the plate number and he will ID it for sure from that.

Just been looking through some Norton websites , the problem with bikes is that their owners just love a tinker and changing bits and bobs making it hard to pinpoint an exact older model.

A couple of pointers though , bulbous exhaust , long mudguards , curved mirror stems all point to an earlier model , 1955 Model 7 perhaps.

http://classic-motorbikes.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/9116.jpg

Kenny

Ok.
Identify this incredibly handsome young chap, the year, and the model of the bike.
There is (just) enough info in the pic to give the model to within 150cc

View attachment 61552

Last edited:
Don't think it's a single, the 19s or ES2 singles were the usual sidecar hacks of that era , late 50s, early 60s I guess, but the crankcase casting is wrong, so it suggests a twin.

The cycle parts, full width brake drums, front and rear mudguards, Roadholder front forks, rear shocks etc were common to both single tube and Featherbed frames, can't tell which frame it has from the pic, but my guess is late 50s twin in a Featherbed frame, tank shape suggests Dominator

Ok.
Identify this incredibly handsome young chap, the year, and the model of the bike.
There is (just) enough info in the pic to give the model to within 150cc

View attachment 61552

650cc Triumph Bonniville 1972/5 "whip and sway the Triumph way"
Get your haircut! :rolleyes:

correct on the cc, but the Bonny head would have been ally rather than cast (I think you can just see the head is black)
Year of the bike is 1959
Correct on the incredibly bendy frame.
Correct on the excess of hair :)

Clue: (no googling) the gearbox was a slikshift which allowed you to change gear without pulling in the clutch, but wore your boots out and developed strong ankle muscles.

Last edited:
Ted said:
'59 Thunderbird!! Happy days
I also had a 50's Thunderbird in my youth; can't remember the exact year but it was an even earlier model than yours. I've ridden yaks (seriously!) that handled better. My best friend had a Dommy so our many countrywide rides were "interesting". In a straight line performances were similar, on bends I left a lot of brown stains on the saddle!

Norton 650 Golden Flash, my late Father had a couple

MY BAD they were BSA 650 Golden Flash

Last edited:
knighterrant said:
I also had a 50's Thunderbird in my youth; can't remember the exact year but it was an even earlier model than yours. I've ridden yaks (seriously!) that handled better. My best friend had a Dommy so our many countrywide rides were "interesting". In a straight line performances were similar, on bends I left a lot of brown stains on the saddle!
Cant yet find the only (very old) photo I have of me on my Thunderbird, but here I am on a yak

image-4274055769.jpg

Here's one for you Ted...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom