Idiocy at its very best.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
^ Can't argue with that. Too many fatalities down to illegal phone use whilst driving.

Agreed! Ban, vehicle confiscated and a custodial sentence if the offence causes an accident.

Or am I a bit harsh? :rolleyes:

think you would have to wipe out a minibus full of nuns to get sentence like that now a days agree with you though

What's the point of threads like this?

Is it just an opportunity for us to sound off about being superior?

As a more vulnerable road user i.e.pedestrian and motorcyclist, I feel strongly about this because my life is at risk. I would support a ban on multiple offences or custodial sentence where it causes an accident. As a pedestrian I see car drivers on a regular basis with the phone in one hand the steering wheel in the other and not looking where they are going. The nature of the addiction is such that they won't stop until they injure or kill someone. We need the sort of culture change in the young that was achieved against drink driving.

I don't feel superior, just glad I don't suffer from this particular addiction.

What's the point of threads like this?

Is it just an opportunity for us to sound off about being superior?

Does it make you feel 'superior' in some way then? Why would anyone joining in commentary on something that is an acknowledged scourge on road safety feel 'superior'? Come to think of it, taking your angle, what's the point in any thread criticising anyone's standard of driving, for example? Perhaps this section should be closed down so no-one has the chance to feel 'superior'. :rolleyes: How odd. :confused:

I was interested to know peoples' thoughts on whether or not the current level of available punishment is adequate, or if they think it should be made more severe.

Pete

Last edited:
Confiscate the phone on the spot. You get it back when you send in your licence with the points and a receipt for the fine.

I think the phone makers should do bigger disputing so we don't miss the numbers and letters.

Judging by the number of people using their phones while driving, the current deterrents are clearly not working.

Judging by the number of people using their phones while driving, the current deterrents are clearly not working.

I think the lack of roads policing is a big problem - I very rarely see any police on patrol, anywhere, Over the last Bank Holiday weekend, I did around 500 miles on the bike, over to Norfolk, west to Wales and then home - I saw one patrol car....and some awful driving (no awful riding though!), and a hell of a lot of mobile phone usage resulting in the usual weaving around, nonsensical deceleration and general disconnection from the real world.

Oh, hang on...am I starting to sound superior.....?! :D

Pete

I was interested to know peoples' thoughts on whether or not the current level of available punishment is adequate, or if they think it should be made more severe.

Pete

I'd say the current level of available punishment is adequate (though there is scope for harsher for those driving vehicles requiring additional tests - ie, HGV). The enforcement is non-existent. Until that changes, nothing else will.
Watched a car pass here a few days back. Adult driving, eyes pointing at knees - child in passenger seat watching and learning....

- child in passenger seat watching and learning....

Most children are well and truly addicted from an early age. Perhaps we need some education in schools to prepare them for the future hazards when they learn to drive. We have the police in at our school to talk about things like on line risks so why not mobiles and driving. Mobile use is permitted before school starts and at the end of the day but banned from the start of the first lesson to the end of the last including break times. It works pretty well and they learn the discipline of doing without a mobile when it's use is unacceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom