idiot ebay buyer!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well every cloud........
As you may have guessed, I am now the proud owner of said car :)
Mike called me at 9:30, a visit to the bank, a call to the insurance company, a dash to the station, a pleasant train ride, and by 3:30 the car was mine.
Now clearly, I have a vested interest, but I can honestly say that I have thought this one through, and I really don't believe that there has been anything untoward done. It was clearly sold without tax, and any buyer would have to pay for it at full price. Mike was offering the remaining tax at a discount.
All I can say is that Mike is a straight, no nonsense guy, and it was a pleasure doing business with him.
The car was just as described (actually better IMHO), drives beautifully, and is in excellent condition - a credit to its previous owners. A leisurely drive down the M6, and it's now in my drive.
If I get a chance on Sunday, I will give it a good clean and post some piccies in the gallery.
£740 for an E class in excellent nick? Bloody bargain if you ask me. I certainly wasn't arguing over the tax.

thanks ted, nice to do business with you to and glad you had a safe journey back. Hope the old girl gives you plenty of years loyal service.

..£740 for an E class in excellent nick? Bloody bargain if you ask me. I certainly wasn't arguing over the tax.

Looks like you haggled over the price though - it was £741 last time I looked! :D

Well every cloud........
As you may have guessed, I am now the proud owner of said car :)
Mike called me at 9:30, a visit to the bank, a call to the insurance company, a dash to the station, a pleasant train ride, and by 3:30 the car was mine.
Now clearly, I have a vested interest, but I can honestly say that I have thought this one through, and I really don't believe that there has been anything untoward done. It was clearly sold without tax, and any buyer would have to pay for it at full price. Mike was offering the remaining tax at a discount.
All I can say is that Mike is a straight, no nonsense guy, and it was a pleasure doing business with him.
The car was just as described (actually better IMHO), drives beautifully, and is in excellent condition - a credit to its previous owners. A leisurely drive down the M6, and it's now in my drive.
If I get a chance on Sunday, I will give it a good clean and post some piccies in the gallery.
£740 for an E class in excellent nick? Bloody bargain if you ask me. I certainly wasn't arguing over the tax.
Well done Ted a no nonsence buyer you are the sort that it is a pleasure to deal with I have been lucky with my 3 cars I have sold on Ebay because they were the same as you (read the advert properly and didn't expect a spotless second hand car).
I say this because I advertised car once in the Trade-it and had a couple look at it and the stupid wife said to her husband Quote have you seen the mark by the lock on the drivers door it was where the the key goes into the lock and there was a couple of minute scratches so I told her to go forth and multiply as I can't abide messers.

and just when i thought all was done and dusted, i receive this :doh::doh:
Dear mikeouk,

Its looking like I am going to have to give you 50 quid for the remainder
of the tax then, when is a good time to pick up ?

-pharlapuk

hahaha :rolleyes:

Just tell her you came out this morning and it`s been nicked :eek: THis has worked for me at least twice :thumb:

Nope , I'd just tell her the truth : that you were 'teed' off with her attitude and sold the gar to a 'genuine' buyer who was more than happy with your terms ; she had her chance and she blew it .

Incidentally , you have reported her as a non-paying bidder ( this may be the reason for her change of heart , since eBay will have contacted her about this and put one 'strike' against her , 3 strikes and she is suspended ) .

Why do people do this?? for gods sake, its a car for throw away money, i thought it would be simple :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

It is your own fault for adding on an item after the fact. That is not allowed under ebay. You can be banned for doing that. Any increase in price needs to be reflected in the value of the sale so that ebay gets their cut.

Had you gone PayPal she would have nailed you to the wall.

He did not 'add an item after the fact' : the tax was not listed and not part of the auction ; the buyer ASKED if there was any tax left , the seller responded that he did have it and she could buy it for £50 - this is entirely SEPARATE from the auction . The buyer then tried , unsuccessfully , to haggle and the sale fell through .

It is a bit like selling a car on eBay and then , when the buyer turns up , he sees you have a set of alloys/roofbox/whatever lying in your garage that were not advertised in your auction - these other items HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE AUCTION OR ITS TERMS - the buyer can certainly make an offer for these 'extras' , which is what happened in this case , but the seller is under no obligation whatsoever to accept any offer he is not happy with .

The buyer ALWAYS had the option of buying the car as advertised (without tax) at the agreed price , but SHE chose to prevaricate by trying to hold the seller to ransom over the price of this 'extra' ; SHE was the one who linked the two SEPARATE items together , SHE took a gamble that it was a buyer's market and that the seller would cave in if threatened with the loss of the sale - well , it backfired on her because the seller had something that was in high demand and easily found another buyer . SHE lost out .

I don't accept Paypal precisely because of the litiginous attitude that company have , and I won't bid on items where the seller states 'Paypal only' - such auctions usually achieve lower prices than ones for similar items where the seller accepts other methods of payment anyway - because a great many people , like me , don't like Paypal .

He did not 'add an item after the fact' : the tax was not listed and not part of the auction ; the buyer ASKED if there was any tax left , the seller responded that he did have it and she could buy it for £50 - this is entirely SEPARATE from the auction . The buyer then tried , unsuccessfully , to haggle and the sale fell through .

It is a bit like selling a car on eBay and then , when the buyer turns up , he sees you have a set of alloys/roofbox/whatever lying in your garage that were not advertised in your auction - these other items HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE AUCTION OR ITS TERMS - the buyer can certainly make an offer for these 'extras' , which is what happened in this case , but the seller is under no obligation whatsoever to accept any offer he is not happy with .

The buyer ALWAYS had the option of buying the car as advertised (without tax) at the agreed price , but SHE chose to prevaricate by trying to hold the seller to ransom over the price of this 'extra' ; SHE was the one who linked the two SEPARATE items together , SHE took a gamble that it was a buyer's market and that the seller would cave in if threatened with the loss of the sale - well , it backfired on her because the seller had something that was in high demand and easily found another buyer . SHE lost out .

I don't accept Paypal precisely because of the litiginous attitude that company have , and I won't bid on items where the seller states 'Paypal only' - such auctions usually achieve lower prices than ones for similar items where the seller accepts other methods of payment anyway - because a great many people , like me , don't like Paypal .

Being pedantic does not lubricate the sale does it. The way you sell a car is to sell it complete.

At the price level in question , most cars are sold WITHOUT tax . when a year's tax is 25% , or more , of the value of the car few sellers would give this away .

All REASONABLE buyers are normally happy to pay for any as-yet unsurrendered discs at surrender value .

Nothing pedantic about it .

The whole selling cars without tax thing just winds me up. Why do people do it? It means the buyer can't legally drive the car away and often getting tax for a car is mega hassle. Buyer did mess you around but I have little sympathy as this tax game over a few quid just leaves you wide open.

Being pedantic does not lubricate the sale does it. The way you sell a car is to sell it complete.

:rolleyes:let me get this straight,,,,so you think what i should have done, when asked about tax, is to have lied and said there wasnt any or that id already sent it back for refund, or i should have included it in the sale to begin with?
im sorry, but you seem to be the pedantic one, i pitty anyone who sells you a car in the future

The whole selling cars without tax thing just winds me up. Why do people do it? It means the buyer can't legally drive the car away and often getting tax for a car is mega hassle. Buyer did mess you around but I have little sympathy as this tax game over a few quid just leaves you wide open.

because, if your selling a low value car, the tax is often worth a high percentage of the total value of the car, also, i dont beleve that buyers take the actual value of the tax into concideration when bidding on a car on ebay, so why include it? would you expect a full tank of fuel aswell?

I regard car tax as tax in the same way as vat,income tax,capital gains tax,its not a car part,why people assume a seller is going to chuck it in for free is beyond me,why not pay the buyers council tax at the same time?

Glad to hear it's all sorted now :thumb:

Though I think the easy option would have been to have just left the tax on the car and sold it as a complete package (include a mention of the tax and it's duration/value in the auction).

That way everyone is happy - there's no bartering afterwards.

Will

because, if your selling a low value car, the tax is often worth a high percentage of the total value of the car, also, i dont beleve that buyers take the actual value of the tax into concideration when bidding on a car on ebay, so why include it? would you expect a full tank of fuel aswell?

i always take the value of the tax into consideration, if it's not taxed i wouldn't bother, too much hassle.
it was only 40 quid after all, not even enough to fill your tank.

Of course buyers take into account the tax on a car when you buy it. Simple bangernomics rules: £30 x months of MOT left + value of tax = car price.

Fuel is easy to get on a Sunday morning when you pickup a car, tax isn't.

Im sorry but I too think it is extremely petty to take off car tax as its just hassle to replace straight away and a real plus for getting more for your older car!
I once travelled 300 miles to buy a used Porsche 911 for £36000 left a deposit and the seller phoned me the next day to say he decided to keep the tax 3 months which annoyed me beyond belief so I said include the text or forget the deal then he refused to give me back my £1000 deposit
I told him unless I had my deposit back within a week His Porsche would be modified with a petrol can and a match ! the Tosser
Igot my deposit back

I just would not buy a car If the seller said he was cahing in the tax ?

OK you said car did not include tax you are within your rights

but me and every person I had this conversation with is of the same opinion I would steer well clear of someone selling a car and cashing tax in
Loads of hassle for buyer and if seller that tight what have they cut corners on servicing etc!

I don't see a problem. If the car wasn't advertised as having tax then you know when you're bidding that if you win you'll have to sort that out prior to driving it OR take a so called risk and drive it. I have done this a few times. I will always ask if they would tax it for me and me pay them on arrival. No biggie. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom