Idiot in a BMW M140

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
I was extremely close to a collision today thanks to an impatient tool driving an M140.
Approaching a roundabout, I could see a car transporter a couple of cars ahead so switched to the outside lane intending to dispatch the transporter on a short uphill stretch of dual carriageway before the two lanes merged into one at the top of the hill.
Just as I came off the roundabout and about to accelerate, a white BMW undertook me on the inside lane and cut across my n/s wing into the outside lane missing me by inches. Had I put my foot down as intended, he would have been rammed. I was fuming, but held back and didn't chase him. 20 years ago things would have been different.

At the next roundabout, he was turning left and I pulled alongside and let him know what an idiot he was in a bit of industrial language. He got the message. Foolish maybe but it really got my back up how stupidly he behaved just showing how quick his car is. Funny really as I'd probably leave him standing given the right time and place.

Rant over, and I'm ready to listen to how I should have reacted;):D

I find it tends to be the smaller, quick models of any marque that tend to be driven agressively.

It's as though, "I might be driving the lower end of the scale, but I'll show people that this thing can shift."

I think some drivers get intoxicated by their (probably) new-found status in a car that can go quicker than they've perhaps had before.

Unfortunately the cheap dash cam I had in my E55 packed up.
You are right, his careless driving would have been filmed for evidence.

Off to amazon to check dash cams next;)

Paul..yep its the small nippy cars that seem to get the aggressive drivers. They probably have a small appendage too.
Last week it was an M2 wanting to race:wallbash:

Typical BMW owner 🙄 was it really worth it as you were alongside at the next roundabout

Typical BMW owner 🙄 was it really worth it as you were alongside at the next roundabout
He will try that move on the wrong person one day.
No it wasn't worth nearly causing an accident for one moment.

I've driven one of the last 140i BMWs.

They are great little cars, much like the A45s. Very nippy and handle very well given their weight. Great fun.

But it would be no match for my old E55 even when it was standard, let alone your E63 Roger, despite the 300kg > 400kg difference in weight.

I happened to drive said 140i some of the route home I used to drive my E55 along for 4 years, so I knew exactly what my E55 was capable of at various points whilst I was driving the 140 and the 140 just runs out of puff... fast.

It's quick to 60 albeit not quite as quick as the AMGs but after that it would be curtains for the little BMW in a dual carriageway grand prix.

Unfortunately the cheap dash cam I had in my E55 packed up.
You are right, his careless driving would have been filmed for evidence.

Off to amazon to check dash cams next;)
Some of the best automotive money I’ve spent is on dashcams, got the front and rear nextbase and wouldn’t be without them. Amazing how people react when they notice dashcams even now. Of course you’ll never stop all the small appendage drivers out there.

Well done for preventing an accident 💪

Unfortunately, Richard Cranium seems to have been procreating at a great rate of knots and his offspring are to be found roaming the roads of the UK in increasing numbers.
A dash cam (or 2 preferably - a rear cam in a prominent place can have an amazing calming influence an those tailgaters who are awake enough to spot it) is a definite must these days.

At the next roundabout, he was turning left and I pulled alongside and let him know what an idiot he was in a bit of industrial language. He got the message.
I've done the same very occasionally, but the problem is, (and I've tried to instil this in younger drivers I know when the subject comes up) you don't know if you're confronting Mr stabby and his ilk. Some of the total lunatics in life do drive. Best to ignore but easier said than done.

In my area of London usually BMW1 and Audi A1 drivers are wannabe Colin McRae/idiots. Glad to see you managed to restraint yourself from racing the nutter.

You did the right thing as you don't know what some of these nutters can do. Saying that, I'm up for a confrontation when that happens to me, but I am slowly realising its not worth the bother & now trying to ignore them, but its hard.
Reminds me of an incident a few years ago, luckily not me. I met a pal of mine who is a seriously hard man & he had a black eye, cuts & bruises, the whole works. I asked what had happened, he laughed & said you won't believe it. He was crossing a road when a car came flying round the corner & just missed him, so he shouted at it & gave a rude gesture. It came to an emergency stop, door flew open & this character got out wearing a tee shirt & jeans. He actually ripped the tee shirt off came over to my pal , battered him as though he was a five year old, got back into his car & drove away.

There's always somebody bigger and better,in my early years i would fight for fun given the job i was in ,now its totally different story not worth the hassle especially with the amount of knifes etc on the streets

Driving a peformance car can have a profound effect upon those around you. Some will admire your car and may even acknowledge it with a thumbs up, some will deliberately avoid giving you the satisfaction and avoid eye contact and some will become momentarily mentally disturbed. As my wife puts it "their blood is boiling".

This last group could be driving anything but their ultimate challenge is to be in front. They're easily spotted or heard so just let them get on with it. Funnily enough they're not out and about when I'm in the Land Rover.

I call these drivers 'oh look I've got the fastest car in the world' drivers, usually Golfs and BMW 1 and 3 series.

I had a similar incident last week. Peak time, driving around the ring road going home, I came up to a car travelling just under the speed limit in the second lane. I stayed behind him knowing he would hopefully move over when the left lane became clear. Checking my mirrors, I could see a Red Golf R weaving in and out of the two lanes, undertaking cars etc. I then saw a white Golf GTI behind him and realised they were racing. As they came up behind me, he was so close that I couldn't see his bonnet! In a different time and place I might have floored it but I indicated and moved over as soon as the left lane was clear. Both Golfs shot past me and undertook another car. The car in front panicked (taxi) and decided to stop in the middle of the ring road. I hit the anchors hard and my ABS kicked in. Luckily I stopped and the car behind didn't hit me.

As said, years ago I may have reacted differently but I was so pissed off that my car was very close to an accident due to some dickheads racing around during peak time on a busy road.

Amazing how people react when they notice dashcams even now.
I can’t say that I’ve ever noticed whether or not there’s a dash cam in another car. But then I do try my best not to aggravate anyone else, so it doesn’t matter if they have one or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom