Idiot satnav....

• Thread starter Deleted member 126969
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All the above is OK IF your phone is permanently connected to t'internet - which means you're paying your mobile phone company loads of money every month.

Our mobiles, although iPhone 4 and thus capable of this, do not. We're still on the O2 Original PAYG tariff, no monthly top-ups, no loss of credit if you use the phone once every 6 months, we only use wireless when we're close to a known router (ours, daughters, friends), our annual phone bill is about £20 each!

That's fine for you I guess, i'm paying about 23 quid a month for two SIMS, one in my phone and one in the car, it's worth it for the convenience of not having to worry about finding friendly wifi or restricting use, in fact probably earsn that money back in saved time just on nav use in the car, let alone actual phone calls.

I was following the SatNav to PCS in Horndean one morning. It took me on to the A3. Then off the A3. Then back on to the A3 to where I started. Then back on to the A3 .....

I could have gone on like that until the fuel ran out!

And then there was the time that I ignored the well understood route round Paris, south towards Bordeaux. TomTom took me right up to the Stade de France on football night. Brilliant.

RayH

We have garmins in the lorrys at work, they are pretty good although occasionally make questionable choices. Given that they have to abide by size and weight limits they do a fairly good job, they are not your standard car jobbies though and cost a lot both to buy and for the monthly subscription.

I can be in up to and sometimes more than 10 hire cars a year in almost as many countries word wide while going about my business , on most occasions the hire car will have sat nav built in but I always take my Tom Tom with me complete with it's upgraded maps, which on the face of it are quite expensive £49.99 (I think) for USA.

I do it for a few reasons, one being once I reach my customer I can save them as a favourite by name for future reference but the other reason is that I often find the sat nav in the hire cars is often frucking useless. I have sometimes run them simultaneously on a journey to a know location only for the car to tell me a load of lies while my TomTom is spot on. I realise rental car companies are unlikely to bother updating the maps in their cars but in my opinion in build sat nav is OK if it's there when you buy the car but it's not a box I would be in any hurry to tick if it was on the options list.

Oh, and just to add ,the system in Chevrolet cars in the USA is pretty good. You touch the sat nav button and an actual Human being answers and asks you where you want to go .

After you tell them and they DEMAND that you 'have a nice day' a computer voice tells you " A new rowt (route) is being sent to your vee-hic-hell (vehicle)"

Works a treat...y'all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom