Idiot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
God knows there are enough bozos on the road, I had 2 in the space of a couple of minutes tonight, both on roundabouts, then another on the way home trying to jump the queue across a set of lights where 2 lanes very swiftly become 1, and he realised just in time that he did not have time/room to get in front of me before it became 1 lane so he had the choice between braking hard or hitting the traffic island head on - so took the first option but decided to crawl right up my exhaust pipe for the next mile!

One of the worst places for non-signalling, being cut up or even run out of your lane, aggression and general road rage is South Mimms roundabout on the M25. I don’t think I have ever made a circuit of that without incident :eek:

One of the worst places for non-signalling, being cut up or even run out of your lane, aggression and general road rage is South Mimms roundabout on the M25. I don’t think I have ever made a circuit of that without incident :eek:
I think roundabouts are becoming over complicated particularly the very large ones. Plethora of road markings which you don't have time to see anyway. Traffic lights which are sometimes difficult to decipher and sometimes on and sometimes off and lanes which suddenly start or merge without warning or lanes which are not marked at all. In our area the propensity to plant up smaller roundabouts to prettify them makes traffic invisible until it's virtually on you makes it a bit of a lottery too. Simplifying would make them safer.

Just to add a little context to the OP, I am sure every person in this thread and on the road has done this at least once (if not more) including me, in their driving career. It is called a mistake and we all make them.

Reactions: 219
Just to add a little context to the OP, I am sure every person in this thread and on the road has done this at least once (if not more) including me, in their driving career. It is called a mistake and we all make them.

I have never pulled out of a side road when someone is approaching at speed and then proceeded to do 20mph

Until a few years ago, I often drove in The Netherlands, amongst other countries.

I always thought then that their habit of only having single lane entry to roundabouts saved a lot of the confusion (and cutting up) caused by the UK's penchant for two lane roundabout entries, even from single cariageway roads.

Until a few years ago, I often drove in The Netherlands, amongst other countries.

I always thought then that their habit of only having single lane entry to roundabouts saved a lot of the confusion (and cutting up) caused by the UK's penchant for two lane roundabout entries, even from single cariageway roads.

Due to the UK roads being highly congested, this approach would lead to one mile long queues leading on to every roundabout.

I have never pulled out of a side road when someone is approaching at speed and then proceeded to do 20mph

The guy was hardly on the road long enough for them to exceed 20mph as you passed, the guy made a mistake we ALL make them.

The guy was hardly on the road long enough for them to exceed 20mph as you passed, the guy made a mistake we ALL make them.

Thanks for your input

The guy pulled out in front of oncoming traffic, and to make things worse pootled off up the road on minimal throttle. I strongly suspect that is his normal practice; I see lots of it.

Round my way, it could easily be believed that a few years ago, Kelloggs were putting driving licences in the packets of Corn Flakes.

Only from the front though...

From the rear, there are red light clusters that are more visible than the front clear headlights, plus the tail lights come on automatically with the wipers. But the front is most important - that's the bit that is travelling towards the other motorist.

Nothing on the sides though ....... I could maybe put neon tubes under the side sills (Corsa style) but I'm over 21!

From the rear, there are red light clusters that are more visible than the front clear headlights, plus the tail lights come on automatically with the wipers. But the front is most important - that's the bit that is travelling towards the other motorist.

I've yet to see anything other than DRLs being front only so the rear is not lit at all until the full lights come on (usually automatically when the light diminishes enough).

Do your red light clusters come on if your lights are set to off?

The tail lights come on automatically with the wipers, no matter what the lights switch is set to, even in daylight. No doubt because spray reduces visibility...

This is, I think, a good idea - but it would probably be just as easy to have them come on with the ignition like the DRL.

The tail lights come on automatically with the wipers, no matter what the lights switch is set to, even in daylight. No doubt because spray reduces visibility...

This is, I think, a good idea - but it would probably be just as easy to have them come on with the ignition like the DRL.

I don't get why they didn't make the rears come on too...

My 2008 car does not have DRL's, but in the cluster menu I can set the headlights to come on with the ignition even when the light switch is set to auto, so I have head dip beam and rear lights on whenever driving. I agree with John, DRL's should include the rear lights not just fronts - how often do you see people driving at dusk with just DRL's on so no rear illumination!!

My 2008 car does not have DRL's, but in the cluster menu I can set the headlights to come on with the ignition even when the light switch is set to auto, so I have head dip beam and rear lights on whenever driving. I agree with John, DRL's should include the rear lights not just fronts - how often do you see people driving at dusk with just DRL's on so no rear illumination!!
Come October I will set mine to be on all the time.

DRLs are stupid because they will not light up front and rear the way they used to when the Swedes first had them on Volvo and Saab...in the 70s.

Why wait until October? I know I'm as visible to other drivers as it's reasonable to make the car, day or night. Toucing wood rapidly, I'm also pleased at how well my NB Unlimiteds are lasting in the dip beam - installed 15/12/2016.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom