Idiots on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
I'd just like to say thanks (not) to the bunch of idiot motorcyclists on the M3 this afternoon. For those not in the know - and what a lucky bunch of people you are - basically there is ~15 miles of roadworks all the way from the M25 to Fleet services, controlled by 50MPH average speed cameras.

As most people are aware that you can't really beat the system with ASCs, there was the usual plodding along at 45-55 MPH. Coming up to the Camberley exit, I was sat in lane 2 verrrry slowly overtaking the car on the inside, lane 3 was empty for some distance behind.

Suddenly I'm aware of headlights in lane 3, catching me up quickly. No, make that REALLY quickly. Then 2 motorbikes come hammering past, I estimate they were doing 120+. There's a van in lane 3 a few hundred metres ahead of me, the guy on the lead motorbike has to brake so hard to avoid piling into the back of him he nearly comes off. Neither bike had a rear number plate.

A further 3 groups of bikes come past in the same fashion, 2-4 bikes in each group. Maybe 12-15 bikes in total, only 2 or 3 had plates showing, and they were the tiny illegal type that probably don't get picked up by the speed cameras (particularly when you're going that fast).

Now I've got views on speed, and the 50MPH average is frustrating at the best of times, and particularly on a sunny Sunday when visibility is good and the workforce (who the speed limit is supposed to protect, nominally at least) are conspicuous by their absence. But this was just insane, the most dangerous piece of driving/riding I've ever seen on the public highway.

Congratulations, d*ckheads, you're the type of people who give motorcyclists a bad name. I really hope that somewhere along your "ride" one of you ended up in a ditch. You deserve it.

Angrily,

Gaz

Well, if we had more Trafpol on the roads, something could be done about it.

As regards the bikers in question - either they knew what they were doing or are "nuts", as even with 25+ years of "crotch rocket" experience, I am not competent enough to close at a speed differential of 70mph with narrow lanes, a guard rail on one side and 2T metal boxes on the other.

There is a trend towards "no plates" both on bikes and cars. I know on bikes that there is a healthy market on flip up plates. Not so sure on cars. On any day on the M2 you will see numerous cars with no front plate.

I suspect that there simply are not enough Police and the people with no plates know this. Either that or they figure the penalty is worth the risk.

I was passed on the QE2 bridge yesterday by a lovely white C63 with no front plate. Not speeding (you can't really with the traffic on there).

When this happens and the car is flagged they look for other identifying marks such as VIN number in windscreen etc to identify and prosecute the offenders. That's a little more difficult with a bike I guess

When this happens and the car is flagged they look for other identifying marks such as VIN number in windscreen etc to identify and prosecute the offenders. That's a little more difficult with a bike I guess

Can anyone tell if you found a number plate?
Because I lost mine must been the speed I was doing!lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom