Idling Probems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkR

Car
A140
Idling problems

Hi there,
This is my first post so hope you can help!

This morning, I had problems with my A140 (1999). It just won't idle at all. When revved above about 1250rpm and during normal driving, it all seems ok but as soon as I stop and idle, it dies.

It idles at about 750rpm, is this too low?
Seems to be fuel starvation and sometimes it almost dies and then the throttle increases, like an auto choke problem, only it does this when warm as well as cold.

Could it be a clogged fuel filter? If it is, would it go away, when revved?

This happened after a long motorway trip on the Sunday with no problems at all. I was running on fumes at one point but it ran ok for the first quarter of the fresh tank.

Thanks for your help.
Mark.

Re: Idling problems

Originally posted by MarkR
Could it be a clogged fuel filter? If it is, would it go away, when revved?

This happened after a long motorway trip on the Sunday with no problems at all. I was running on fumes at one point but it ran ok for the first quarter of the fresh tank.

Thanks for your help.
Mark.

Sounds to me like you have picked up some sediment from the tank if you were running that low mate.

Yes it could be a clogged fuel filter and certainly it wants checking.:eek: :eek:

you need to get your fault codes read really.
its probably the engine control monolith.
its like an air flow meter with an ecu built into it,very common on a classes.
not sure how much they are,butthey have to be coded to the engine.
would book it into the dealer asap.
also could be worth checking your fuel gauge sender in the fuel tank,as these give false readings if they havn't been changed to the modified type

Thanks zerocool,

I will get it booked in today.
Not sure how the fuel gauge sender could cause this problem by giving false readings? Explain?
The sender was replaced while still under waranty as it only went up to 3/4 when the tank was full.

Another thing that I noticed last night is that the engine management light does not come on when all the other lights come on for the bulb test. Problem is, I am not sure if it used to come on in the past or not!!

Cheers for your help.

Looked last night but can't find the flipp'n fuel filter!!
Any idea where it is?!
It's not obvious in the engine bay, I suppose it could be near the tank somewhere? It is pretty tight to get at anything.

Thanks for your help.

fuel filter is under the car,you have to drop the panel down.
it is around the centre arm rest area,but on the underside of the car.
not a nice one to get to.

Cheers Zerocool

Will have a look tonight as I didn't get a chance last night. It is a bit of a problem in my single garage with no axle stands etc! I will have to get my garage kitted out but 'er indoors has other priorities!

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom