If Carlsberg made cars . . . . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattk1

Car
SL63, C350 CDI & Ducati 1299 Panigale
First of the modern day supercars?
I work close to Joe Macari in SW London and saw this in the local Shell station the other day, one of all-time favourite cars :cool:

Matt

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 148
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 144
They do!

Attachments

• corgi-gs37-fiat-x1-9-carlsberg-power-boat-set-superb-sold--1258-p.jpg
    corgi-gs37-fiat-x1-9-carlsberg-power-boat-set-superb-sold--1258-p.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 102
I had one of these and it was the best car i ever had, much faster, reliable and withstood a lot of abuse and crashing.

I think it's still in the loft somewhere with the rest of my scalextric...

Works for me...

carlsbergtonnesen.jpg

I work close to Joe Macari in SW London and saw this in the local Shell station the other day, one of all-time favourite cars :cool:

Matt

I remember seeing one in Chiswick near the old Chequered Flag Garage, in the flesh it was just fab. Possibly better looking than it's brother the F40. And funny enough that's also were I saw my first 190E EVOII & Honda NSX.

Last edited:
I wanted to buy one years ago when they weren't "on the radar", I was already a fan of the 308 and, when I saw the GTO, I just loved it from the moment I saw it in CAR magazine. They werre going for around £75,000 and it was too much money and I couldn't afford to buy it so I plumped for something cheaper.

If only I had bought it and kept it....

Ah well. Life is like that sometimes. :(

Myself too, I remember when they were first launched. It's an amazing car especially in the era it was made, it changed the goalposts considerably.
Also love the F40.

Matt

Matt

Bew. Tee. Full.

IMHO the most perfect looking car ever made. The balance of beauty and power is just so harmonious. I could gaze at these forever.

Anyone remember the (CAR I think it was) article where the journo picked one up from Maranello with its new owner and drove back to London in it.

Last line of the article went something like 'I watched it drive away, a king amongst all the pawns'

Perfick.

Had to Google it. It's a Group B Homologation special? And interesting has the engine mounted at 90 degrees to the 308.

Personally I prefer the F40 - but saw one as at show in Brisbane 2 weeks ago which even though genuine looked like a kit car (mainly due to a few extra stickers and some non-standard wheels.

I wanted to buy one years ago when they weren't "on the radar", I was already a fan of the 308 and, when I saw the GTO, I just loved it from the moment I saw it in CAR magazine. They werre going for around £75,000 and it was too much money and I couldn't afford to buy it so I plumped for something cheaper.

If only I had bought it and kept it....

Ah well. Life is like that sometimes. :(

288 GTO's have never been 'off the radar". They were fetching more than £100K in 80's and have never been less than that since, now they go for £500K+ for good examples.

There were a number of replicas made from 308's, so maybe it was one of these you saw.

It was the genuine article, as they say. I had a chat with the mechanic who was filling it up. I have been to the showroom a number of times to 'dream'. They have a fine selection of cars for sale - Maserati MC12, F40, F50, Enzo, the 288GTO I pictured, Zonda, Huayra to name but a few, along with some slightly older classics. Take a look on their website - it's nearly car heaven :D

Matt

It was the genuine article, as they say. I had a chat with the mechanic who was filling it up. I have been to the showroom a number of times to 'dream'. They have a fine selection of cars for sale - Maserati MC12, F40, F50, Enzo, the 288GTO I pictured, Zonda, Huayra to name but a few, along with some slightly older classics. Take a look on their website - it's nearly car heaven :D

Matt

I can't imagine Macari having anything but the real McCoy.

288 GTO's have never been 'off the radar". They were fetching more than £100K in 80's and have never been less than that since, now they go for £500K+ for good examples.

There were a number of replicas made from 308's, so maybe it was one of these you saw.

You must be right. Maybe it was actually just a 308, or even an X/19.

Firstly, I never said I saw a car, I merely became aware that they were being sold off after some change in racing regulations meant they could not be used competitively (can't remember the details). And secondly, I am certain that they were initially offered for around £75,000. Indeed, a quick Google turns up that their list price in the USA was $83,000, according to Road & Track magazine.

I may have got the precise figure wrong but I am certain that they were initially not considered gold dust and certainly they were not initially priced at £100K.

288 GTO's have never been 'off the radar".

If I recall correctly the GTO did indeed go ''off the radar'' when the F40 was launched and it wasn't for many a year later, when F40 prices started to pick up that interest & price in the GTO increased. Stand to be corrected but that's the way I remember it.

Firstly, I never said I saw a car, I merely became aware that they were being sold off after some change in racing regulations meant they could not be used competitively (can't remember the details). And secondly, I am certain that they were initially offered for around £75,000. Indeed, a quick Google turns up that their list price in the USA was $83,000, according to Road & Track magazine.

I may have got the precise figure wrong but I am certain that they were initially not considered gold dust and certainly they were not initially priced at £100K.
Touchy - £/$ rate was almost 1:1 in mid 90's and 288 GTO immediately started selling over list. So when you previously said a few years back you now mean almost 30 after a bit of google research.

There was nothing meant by my comment, just pointing out that 288 GTO's have always been sought after and not bargain ferraris that nobody could shift. There was no offence meant. You obviously took offence, so sorry. :)

cheers, Steve

There was nothing meant by my comment, just pointing out that 288 GTO's have always been sought after and not bargain ferraris that nobody could shift. There was no offence meant. You obviously took offence, so sorry. :)

cheers, Steve

Apology accepted, and an apology from me to you, too, for being so snappy.:eek:

Just as, in one's youth, one learns the hard way not to write letters to ex-girlfriends late at night, perhaps also, there should be a similar rule regarding replying to forum posts with which one takes issue.

PS: I am certain there was a period at the beginning when Ferrari were off-loading those GTOs as unwanted stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom