If I could swear this page would be blue, C230K Air Filter Box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mycarneedsyou

Car
2004 C230K
It goes something like this:-

MB willing to take £70 off me to diagnose a problem
MB unwilling to telll me the part I need, to the extent where they are not returning calls
Last Saturday I go and buy everything I think I will need to change the air filter housing
Late Saturday I discover I need a deep e10 Torque Socket, too late to buy one.
Monday extremely busy with work but dive out to buy Deep E Torque Socket set
Spending almost £80 on tools and a Haynes Manual
Monday Evening I disconnect the electrics and everything else I need to before trying to remove the air filter housing
Loosen the two bolts located at the back of the air filter housing, OMG I cant get teh ****** thing out.
Before I lose my mind and totally go off Mercedes Cars, can anyone tell me where I am going wrong.
Thanking you in advance of my onset of insanity.

Why are you taking the housing out?
what is your chassis number so I can look it up.

Hi Nigel,

My engine management light came on and MB after diagnosis said that the pipe which goes from the air filter housing to the supercharger/intercooler has a split in it. They were very vague about this, to the extent that when I tried to explain it to to different MB parts departments they didnt know what I was talking about! On saying that my wife does say she doesnt know what I am on about half the time. Anyway the chassis number is WDC2030402R152797. I hope that helps.

Regards,

Peter

Cant pm you with info as you havent done 30 posts yet, looking on epc I can see hoses but not sure which one you mean. Also cant see how to get air box off . Ollie will know hopefully he will see this soon.

I wish I lived near him so I could take my car to a pro, hopefully I can speak to him tomorrow and find out why the damned thing is stuck or what it is I am not doing.

Found these guys not sure if good or not:-SPR autos in Stockport Cheshire

Funnily enough I took my car there when my starter motor went and I asked them to have a look to see if anything else needed doing. I knew about the light then and they said it was the inlet manifold gasket and to change it would be £400.00 so I dont really trust them.

hi, the split hose is quite common and certainly a credible scenario.

to remove the housing you need to undo some obvious plugs and the heavy duty clip on the intake hose at the back. then after unscrewing the 2x T20 screws you need to lift the rear end clear of the intake hose, and slide the box assembly to the rear to release the front edge of it - easy when you know how.

Hi Alexander,

I think the clips on the hose at the back is where I have been going wrong, dont always take what Haynes say as red. I will try this on Saturday, thanks.

Peter

That large clip can be a bit tricky without the right tool. It is very springy!

It is just a rubber intake pipe. No particular name.

Sealy do a tool for it. I will try and find it.

I will try by hand, the only thing is I am being told there are two parts to the pipe. Is this right?

You shouldnt do it by hand!

Think of the tool like a remote clamp plier, by the time you are doing this alone it is the best for you! When taking the filter box out you force the clip to open and when refitting you keep it open so that it feets in place and release to lock the filter box!

If you do it by hand (which i think you wont be able) there is no way to fit the box back in place cause of the clip!

The tool is like that one:

BER0349.jpg

Search for a "Hose Clamp Plier"

Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom