If key fob battery is dead how do you start the car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chas

Car
Mercedes GLE 300D 4Matic AMG line
If the key fob battery is dead, I know how to get the key out of the key fob to open the door , but how do you then go about starting the car ? There is no place to insert key fob( NEW TYPE OF KEY) and I cant see any info on placing key fob in cup holder where there should be a key symbol ? May 20 GLE SUV W167

The on-line manual is confusing. I did not find instructions on the spot for the key where it would work with a dead battery. There must be one (possibly mentioned in the manual even if I did not find it).

You could try to remove the key battery and try the key at different positions of the front centre console.

Can’t you just prise the start button out with a thumbnail and insert the key into the receptacle?
Alternatively try holding the key against the stop/start button.

I may be thick, but is this just looking for a problem that does not really exist. Use the second key, your car is 2020 so I assume you have 2 keys or get a new battery for the fob

First off, you will get a warning in the car's instrument cluster that the key fob battery needs replacing some considerable time before it stops working.

Secondly you have a spare key.

Finally, the manual identifies the spot in the car where you have to place the "dead" key to start the car. Search for "Starting the vehicle in emergency operation mode" in the manual - it looks to be on page 180 / 181 - and the spot for the key looks like it's in the stowage box under the centre armrest.

Always best to remember to take the spare key to the workshop when the car is being serviced. Spare keys tend to sit doing nothing in many cases and often forgotten.

From memory when my car was in for a service, they replaced the key fob battery even though there was no warning so probably did not need changed & they also left another battery in the car for the second key

My understanding is that a MY 2020 Mercedes would have the "new style key". No way to put it to the ignition slot, no cap in the ignition slot that can be taken off.

The spare key would not help if the key battery dies on a trip. A good point though that the car gives a warning about low battery well in time.

Attachments

• new style key.JPG
    new style key.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 4
I may be thick, but is this just looking for a problem that does not really exist. Use the second key, your car is 2020 so I assume you have 2 keys or get a new battery for the fob
If you're 100 miles from the second key, what do you do?

Both my batteries got changed FOC when it was serviced 🙂

Can’t you just prise the start button out with a thumbnail and insert the key into the receptacle?
Alternatively try holding the key against the stop/start button.
New key can't be inserted , different design

Reactions: Ted
So if I'm a long way from home, and the battery dies on the key fob how do you start the car? No one so far has the answer, nothing in the manual either, so it's a valid question. Maybe I'm too safety conscious having worked in the Aviation industry, that's why aircraft don't fall out the sky ;)

Last edited:
So if I'm a long way from home, and the battery dies on the key fob how do you start the car?
I can’t say as I’m not sure on the specifics on your car. Carrying a couple of spare batteries in the glovebox might not be a bad idea though.

Yes I do have spare battery in glove box;)

So if I'm a long way from home, and the battery dies on the key fob how do you start the car? No one so far has the answer, nothing in the manual either, so it's a valid question. Maybe I'm too safety conscious having worked in the Aviation industry, that's why aircraft don't fall out the sky ;)

Nothing in your manual? Is it different from what st13phil referred earlier?

Yes I do have spare battery in glove box;)
Well. what's the problem:wallbash:

Always best to remember to take the spare key to the workshop when the car is being serviced. Spare keys tend to sit doing nothing in many cases and often forgotten.
That sounds like a great idea, right up until when I read this… ;)

No one so far has the answer, nothing in the manual either, so it's a valid question.
There is a section in the manual about what to do. I found it in the online copy, so I find it hard to believe that it isn’t in the paper version.

I have two more suggestions if the key battery goes flat and you still haven’t read the manual: 1) There are this things called “shops” where you can purchase CR2032 batteries. Visit one, buy a battery and fit it in the key which will then work; 2) Call Mobilo and they'll come to you and do #1 on your behalf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom