If only...

• Thread starter Deleted member 37751
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rare to see a 211 with an interesting interior colour, looks great!

should be adequate torque from that v8 diesel also.

It is; same peak torque as from an E55K. Different torque curve, though.

Interesting to note that the W211 E320CDI (with the inline-6 3.2 litre turbodiesel) I had 10 years ago, Mercedes made a point of quoting it as having more torque than their 5.0 V8 at the time (of which I now own a version of in a CLS).
I wonder why they didn't import the V8 turbodiesel to the UK when the Audi 4.0 / 4.2 TDI sold quite well here?

Interesting to note that the W211 E320CDI (with the inline-6 3.2 litre turbodiesel) I had 10 years ago, Mercedes made a point of quoting it as having more torque than their 5.0 V8 at the time (of which I now own a version of in a CLS).
I wonder why they didn't import the V8 turbodiesel to the UK when the Audi 4.0 / 4.2 TDI sold quite well here?
Something to do with the economics of converting LHD 4matic to RHD from what I gather - easier to do on an SUV than a saloon.

Something to do with the economics of converting LHD 4matic to RHD from what I gather - easier to do on an SUV than a saloon.
Like the E500, I suspect that at the time there was a very limited market for large capacity engines in an E-Class body in the UK, and therefore not worth the re-engineering costs if it's anything other than straightforwards. At the time diesel would have been less popular in other RHD markets too, not just the UK.

Like the E500, I suspect that at the time there was a very limited market for large capacity engines in an E-Class body in the UK, and therefore not worth the re-engineering costs if it's anything other than straightforwards. At the time diesel would have been less popular in other RHD markets too, not just the UK.
Yes that rings true, when I was looking for a W211 E500 earlier this year I found them to be quite thin on the ground, so ended up getting a CLS500 instead as they're more plentiful (go figure).

Sounds impressive, but it's misleading; peak torque may have been slightly more, but it's all about the torque curve, not the peak. My 420 ML's 4.0 turbodiesel has the same peak torque as an E55K, but it's nowhere near as fast, and the 211 E500 5.0 V8 has better performance than the same car with the inline-six 320 diesel.

....after a skinful....
It was a VW T2 camper van.

On a surfing trip I had a minor scrape with a tourist in a Volvo, the poncy type.

He jumped out and started ranting at the 'driver' who was stoned and giggling like shaggy out of scooby do.

It took the guy several minutes to spot that the steering wheel was on the other side.

Sounds impressive, but it's misleading; peak torque may have been slightly more, but it's all about the torque curve, not the peak. My 420 ML's 4.0 turbodiesel has the same peak torque as an E55K, but it's nowhere near as fast, and the 211 E500 5.0 V8 has better performance than the same car with the inline-six 320 diesel.
The E320CDI is also 100 bhp down on the E500 ;)

On a surfing trip I had a minor scrape with a tourist in a Volvo, the poncy type.

He jumped out and started ranting at the 'driver' who was stoned and giggling like shaggy out of scooby do.

It took the guy several minutes to spot that the steering wheel was on the other side.
Ha ha, a similar thing happened to my parents back in the 60s, they had a LHD VW Beetle, they were sitting in traffic & my father was fiddling with the radio without realising that their car was creeping forward & it nudged the car in front. The driver of the car jumped out & proceeded to have a go at my mother through the window because he thought she was driving lol.

Another similar story:

I was driving through London when my passenger started shouting about a driver that had just pulled out of a junction ahead of us. "Look - that asshat is reading a newspaper whilst driving"

Yep it was a LHD diplomatic car :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom