If someone from the 1950's arrived in a time machine ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We'd be explaining our technology??? The guy has just arrived in a time machine. I think it would be us asking questions, not answering his!

The hardest thing to explain would be that so soon after so many fought for our freedom, we give up our freedom so easily.

he would die of shock to see what young girls call clothes, and then show him what the internet is really used for :p

It might be hard to explain to our Time Traveller that despite approx 60 years of Medical Advancements, that there is still no cure f or Cancer.

We'd be explaining our technology??? The guy has just arrived in a time machine. I think it would be us asking questions, not answering his!

I'm not saying he built it ... just arrived in it.

Perhaps someone from the future went back to the 50's and grabbed him ?

splitting-hairs.jpg

A Paradox indeed, who had built an unknown time machine in the past ?? But of course more believable would be that our visitor from 1950 might have just woken up from a coma ???

I don't think that much has actually changed. The queen is still there, people still drive cars, walk and get on trains and planes.

People get married, live in houses, go shopping, cook meals, send their kids to school. Maybe fall ill, and go to hospital. Eventually die in their 70s or 80s, mostly. Tories still in power.

Wars, hunger and poverty still common.

More channels on bigger colour TVs, plenty of gadgets which mean alternative ways of doing what was done in the 50s.

Very little revolutionary change, really. I think they'd be amazed how little has changed!

How about affordable worldwide travel in realistic timeframes ?

I expect 50's man might have a bit of a shock when one of those big new Airbuses went overhead ?

How about ATM's ?

Being a person born in 1951, the first question I would ask is why is it always raining?:D:D

The biggest shock would be prices, bearing in mind that he would still be dealing with £ s d, no not the drug, the currency of the day. Beer was about 1/5 one shilling and 5punce not pence:D less than 7.5p. A 3 bed semi was probably in the hundreds or early thousands. I do remember talking to an old guy back in 1982 ish who paid more for a tonne of coal at the time than the cost of his house when he bought it. In the early 50's there was still farthings and silver thrupney bits

I don't think that much has actually changed....
Very little revolutionary change, really. I think they'd be amazed how little has changed!

...on that basis, redirect him to the 60s as at least there were more interesting and fun things going on.

Best answer so far is Gordon Tarling ..... :D

This would someone be from the same Fifties when -

microchips
programmable computers
optical fibre
credit cards
transistors
space flight
nuclear power (and hydrogen bombs)
transAtlantic passenger jets
solar panels (in space, too)
structural model of DNA
medical ultra-sonic diagnosis
TV
plastics
videotape
bar codes
lasers
integrated circuits
internal pacemakers
computer networks

- and such, were all invented? Those Fifties? Don't think you would have that much trouble explaining most modern technology...

How being in debt got turned into a 'good thing' and re-named 'credit' might be more difficult; where 'full employment' went, that would be another...

He'd probably notice the absence of hats most.

Now Mr Traveller - you may find this hard to comprehend but......

...the fairer sex like to get blind drunk on a weekend night, usually on pints, show their anatomy to strangers, and that a good night includes getting laid, possibly by someone who's name they will have no idea of the next day :eek:.

Last edited:
Why his Spitfires are drowned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom