if the turbo actuator is stucking some times..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poisas

I have read few posts about overboost>limp mode. And this shows like turbo actuator is stucking from smth, or its to old , so i have 1 stupid question, could i spray somethink like wd40 to the vacuum line to actuator?
or how could i fix it ?
Now i start to realize where could the problem be for my E250TD powerloss, and why long run in the highway is fixxing it temporaly. So if the actuator is delaying for some seconds, so the boost in the time "t1" has to bee acording the factory x bar. If the actuator has a delay of Tdelay seconds, so when when the boost is at maximum X bar, but actuator has a delay, so real pressure becames X+extra pressure,and when you hit an accelerator also you have a turbolag +delay of actuator. . So everything became more clear, when i added to schiotky diodes to the map sensor, and inceased signal output to ecu by 0.5V than car start to go limp mode every morining, until it gets warmup , and thats i suppose why all the intake manifold under has a leaking oil from overboost. Anyone knows the principal of working of external actuator ? how is it controled via vacum, and what is that electrical stuff it is pluged in ? how i could clean or repair the acctuator ?
do i have a change to find that actuator ?

Dont understand half your post;) but to see if its the actuator or spindle at fault release the arm from the lever and move it if, its free look at the actuator, if you have a small vacuum/pressur tester you can move it yourself.

The spindle used to seize on the discovery TD5 engine very common fault. cure, release arm, dribble engine oil down spindle work until free and refit arm and away you go for another year or two:) .

This also worked from an electric solenoid which had a small pipe to the actuator then the pipe from the other end of the solenoid went to the turbo outlet pipe this supplied the necassary pressure to move the actautor.

The solenoid was ecu controlled the ecu got its pressure signal from the IAT sensor on the inlet manifold also another common cause of lack of power on TD5 engine.

Hope this helps

Lynall

jou :) this helps a lot, thats why i have so much difference modifying IAT sensor: ok, i try to understand what you call a cure for actuator.
If I understand corectly, i need to spray some engine oil there, and "exercize the actuator" until it moves free.

I wonder what position shoud this actuator and wastegate have when engine off , when idle, and when underload in neutral ?

Dont understand half your post;) but to see if its the actuator or spindle at fault release the arm from the lever and move it if, its free look at the actuator, if you have a small vacuum/pressur tester you can move it yourself.

The spindle used to seize on the discovery TD5 engine very common fault. cure, release arm, dribble engine oil down spindle work until free and refit arm and away you go for another year or two:) .

This also worked from an electric solenoid which had a small pipe to the actuator then the pipe from the other end of the solenoid went to the turbo outlet pipe this supplied the necassary pressure to move the actautor.

The solenoid was ecu controlled the ecu got its pressure signal from the IAT sensor on the inlet manifold also another common cause of lack of power on TD5 engine.

Hope this helps

Lynall

Anyone knows the principal of working of external actuator ? how is it controled via vacum, and what is that electrical stuff it is pluged in ?

The modulator valve applies vacuum to the wastegate actuator to close the wastegate and provide boost.
When there is no vacuum the wastegate is open.

The ECU controls the boost depending on information from the MAP sensor.

Now i can confirm, that Wastegate actuators rod is moving free very easy to move it. So now i got very tiered of my car.. i mean is those errors in ecu matters allot ? :) for the moment i had played with a sensors alot, so there is a lot of errors.. main problem i have, is that if i press accelerator just a little bit, i will have more power than i will floor it. So map sensor controls the wastegate and boost, and boost controls the map sensors value. :) but who is the first :).

what is position of actuator when engine is idle? and when i hit the floor with accelerator. ? :)

The MAP fed information to the ECU which controls the wastegate, end of. The wastegate actuators are always floppy on these turbos and never seize.

The wastegate is slightly relaxed at idle to reduce back pressure but snaps closed as soon as power is applied. It should remain closed until maximum boost is reached and surpassed, at which point it bleeds off excess boost.

If the wastegate is leaking at full power that is probably due to the expanded gasses forcing it open a bit against the spring as the standard setting has the actuator right at the end of it's travel to just close the wastegate.

Shorten the actuator linkage a little to ensure the actuator has some travel in reserve apply greater spring pressure.
This won't increase boost as that is controlled electronically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom