If you don’t ask....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you think that people in need of a replacement vehicle are going for approved used rather than new?

Potentially yes, a recent 1 owner / low mileage AU car for half the price of a new one is much less of a financial commitment in uncertain times.

Potentially yes, a recent 1 owner / low mileage AU car for half the price of a new one is much less of a financial commitment in uncertain times.
I think you’re right.

I've always bought pre reg for the saving (usually with around 10 miles on) apart from the unregistered xtype I bought when they were ceasing production and wanted rid of the stock and a bargain unregistered mx5 that Perrys had bucket loads of in 2003. I couldn't do with waiting for a new order. I'd have probably chosen a different car by the time it arrived.

Do you think that people in need of a replacement vehicle are going for approved used rather than new?
It's a no brainer to me. My c300 was just under £40k new so cheaper tax. The dealer had registered it in Sept 2019. It had 3k miles on (which is a bit high miles for me but low really), they had given it it's first service and 2 free services included for just under £22k. I've been offered more for it since I bought it in Feb but I haven't gone off it just yet. I've had a jag xe from the same franchise, pre reg 5 months old, 17 miles on, £11k saving on new. I change so often, it would be daft to pay full price

Maximum mileage 25k, this whittles it down a touch, most are ex lease, would that be an isssue, or am I correct lease cars have stringent rules, so would be serviced and pretty well looked after, to avoid surcharges at end of lease period.

If it’s anything like my current car lease, car needs to be serviced my main dealer in schedule. Hand it back without dealer history and there will be surcharges to pay. So my guess is that most lease cars will have a full dealer service history. I think it’s a mistake when people assume lease cars have not been looked after. Hand a car back with damage and incomplete service history and you are giving the lease company free reign to attack your wallet. I would not hesitate to buy an ex lease car if it had full history.

Getting a main dealer to knock more than 10% off the sticker price is unrealistic IMHO unless it's a car they can't shift for some reason. I suspect good used cars are more in demand now as new sales went through the floor last year, but most seem to be priced quite fairly to start with when you factor in the manufacturer warranty etc. Having established that I'm a serious buyer I would normally ask straight away what the best price they can do is, and go from there. If it's the spec/colour/etc. I want then I'm not personally going to walk for the sake of another £500 or so, but that's a personal choice of course. I've only bought three MB Approved Used cars so wouldn't claim to be an expert, but I've been happy with the deal each time which is all that matters
This is also my approach, one either compromises on colour/spec or price, when I was looking for my W213 I saw a good spec in Grey, had digital widescreen, leather seats, folding rear seats, and massage seats, at a good price at Mercedes Colchester, spoke to dealer over the phone and asked the usual questions, put a holding deposit down, and said would come and view the next day with a view to purchase, next morning he calls and tells me, someone at their other branch has also put a deposit down for the same car, so they have first refusal, as they placed a deposit an hour earlier then me, don’t know if that was the truth from him, my view was another buyer was a finance buyer, and me being a cash buyer, he opted for the other, so I missed out on that.

Then I saw the cavansite blue, and decided that was the colour I wanted, and there would be no compromise on that, there weren’t any at the time in that colour having looked for around a month, spotted one at Mercedes Bridgend, was Amg line premium, and not the plus, so did a deal, managed £600 of sticker price, didn’t want to drag out the negotiations further, in fear of losing out again, after a year retrofitted Nappa Leather, multibeam headlights, new widescreen digital cockpit and speakers at comand uk, and so apart from 360 camera have everything I want on the car. Yes cost me a bit retrofitting stuff, but am happy with the end results.

I have checked dealer prices here in N. Ireland for 2017 BMW 330e. Prices range from £13450 to £17495. There are 2018 ones at £18450.
Most here are at £18995, one owner and mileage between 19-25k, they grey one which he and I also like, is priced at £19950 with 19k miles, have emailed the dealer, with a link to another car which is black, 3 months newer, but with 4K mile more, and priced 1k cheaper then his at another main bmw dealer, awaiting his response.

Maximum mileage 25k, this whittles it down a touch, most are ex lease, would that be an isssue, or am I correct lease cars have stringent rules, so would be serviced and pretty well looked after, to avoid surcharges at end of lease period.

If it’s anything like my current car lease, car needs to be serviced my main dealer in schedule. Hand it back without dealer history and there will be surcharges to pay. So my guess is that most lease cars will have a full dealer service history. I think it’s a mistake when people assume lease cars have not been looked after. Hand a car back with damage and incomplete service history and you are giving the lease company free reign to attack your wallet. I would not hesitate to buy an ex lease car if it had full history.
Yes have read up on that, so ex lease wouldn’t be a problem. What is people take on buying from a car supermarket, they are also ex lease or ex rental cars, wouldn’t want an ex rental, but prices are also not too far off from main dealers, which was a surprise. Main dealer 1 year warranty and 1 year breakdown cover is an advantage though.

I've bought 4 cars in the last 7 months. I've found that in the 'first offer' from them conversation, there has always been an easy £500 off except the last one I bought, merc C300 69 reg with 3k miles on. It had sat at the dealer from new and had been reduced twice. When I checked the tax, it hadn't been taxed since Sept 2020 and I bought in February. It was the cheapest on the internet and autotrader was showing it was £4k less than the expected retail price. I asked for a reduction but he said no. Usually I would have gone elsewhere when he said no but I knew it was already very good value so I bought it and I think I got a bargain. I got it at Stratstone and they don't always have a good reputation but it's the 3rd car I've had from them (different brands) and they've been great. Along with the £4k cheaper than expected, Mercedes themselves are running a 2 free services offer at the moment so that was even more good value (I always thought the 'free services' offers were only when taking finance so I never expect it but they were for cash sales aswell so I got it).
I think it's a case of knowing what else is out there and then you don't feel ripped off if they don't come down in price.
Has he looked at Stratstone? They usually have loads of the same car for sale and they don't put them all onlne for sale on other sites, just their own site ;)
Thanks for that, will look at stratstone.

this is the link to the video which the salesman sent,good viewing, and his thoughts on the 2.5k reduction offer.

That's it in a nutshell. For the sake of a tiny proportion of the asking price you might lose out on the exact car you have been looking for. Dealing with any dealer is hit and miss. I missed out on a fantastic SL65 at a dealers by offering a very fair price (and it was), to be told "there was no margin in it", only to find out later that they had sold it for less than I had offered!
They were obviously holding out for a high price then what you offered, but once that can’t be obtained, why didn’t they come back to you and accepted your offer. Have heard this happen often, and dealers don’t call back to ask prospective buyers if they are still interested, seems like bad business practise, accepting less in the end.

this is the link to the video which the salesman sent,good viewing, and his thoughts on the 2.5k reduction offer.

So what are your thoughts on his thoughts on your offer....?

So what are your thoughts on his thoughts on your offer....?
2 days after the video and our offer, he sent an email saying he has asked his boss and the best deal he will do is £19,568 ( don’t know where the £68 comes from ), I replied that we are only willing to go up to 18k, as previously stated, also sent him a link of another car at another dealer, which is similar in spec and mileage but less 1k sticker price. Awaiting his response.

2 cars above are similar to the grey one, but in black, and are 1k less, so if he can’t budge, then will move on to those.

There is also this one around 8k miles more, we offered 16.5k, salesman came back with 17.5k, possible could agree around 17k mark, so there are other options, not sure if 8k miles more warrants 2k more on sticker price.

On a pre-reg or nearly-new you don't get to choose the options.... but the car is cheaper and in stock, so you don't have to wait for it to be built. Pros and cons....

On a pre-reg or nearly-new you don't get to choose the options.... but the car is cheaper and in stock, so you don't have to wait for it to be built. Pros and cons....
Spot on, for used you have to get really lucky with all the option you want, colour and spec wise. Compromise have to be made.

So some developments, got a reply from the salesman with regards to our 18k offer, unfortunately he couldn’t move any further, so that was that.

I also last week put an offer on a black one, sticker price was 18995, offered 17k, salesman countered with 18k, didn’t take it any further due to wanted grey one. Well this salesman called me this morning, after the grey one fell through, asking if we are still interested, I again put offer of 17k, thinking we would come to an agreement of 17.5k, he says he will come back to me shortly with his answer, to my surprise he calls back and says yes he can do 17k, but has to be done and dusted by Wednesday, due to end of month/ quarter.

So a result for my father, with me doing all the legwork, but carrying out his figure for negotiation.

so yes if you don’t ask you don’t get, motto really holds true. Also end of month/quarter targets also holds true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom