Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nasco12

Car
W202 C240 1999 Green; Previous: W202 C200
...what would you buy? (And why?)

Me? I'd go for a R129 if I thought I could afford to run it.

Terms & Conditions. There must be a reasonable chance that you could buy the car for under £10,000. Any money left over is lost for good and may not be used for repairs, tarting up or drink. You don't have to say why but it would be nice if you did. The car does not have to be new (and probably won't be). Thread is just a bit of New Year's fun, so no flame wars. If you want a flame war join any winter tyre thread. You will not be disappointed.

If I could keep the one I've just bought and spend another £10K, I'd most definately buy an R107 SL, like this.. :)

2.jpg

Last edited:
I'd find, import and restore a W123 300D (mad, I know!)

I would buy the absolute best late model Smoke silver W126 I could find.

The reasons....

Everyday usability

Classic looks

Battleship build

In my opinion the best car in the world

mercedes-benz-safety_100339709_m.jpg

If I could keep the one I've just bought and spend another £10K, I'd most definately buy an R107 SL, like this.. :)

2.jpg

That's my favourite 'old' SL - proper Beverley Hills Cop job...

And, not expensive! I think this one's up for around 9 grand! Bargain if you ask me!

The reasons....

Everyday usability

Classic looks

Battleship build

Actually, these are splendid aren't they! Real grandeur and "statesman like" Lovely cars!

Yep....I loved mine (pic in my gallery) and it was a joy to drive....every journey felt like a state event

I think that car was the ultimate car in so many ways back in the day and it still feels like a presidential car, even now!

2.jpg
I just had a thought.......maybe when wifey tires of the Saab, this would make a fantastic replacement convertible.... :D

Now, when shall I start my R107 buying threads... :D:D:D

...what would you buy? (And why?)

Me? I'd go for a R129 if I thought I could afford to run it.

Terms & Conditions. There must be a reasonable chance that you could buy the car for under £10,000. Any money left over is lost for good and may not be used for repairs, tarting up or drink. You don't have to say why but it would be nice if you did. The car does not have to be new (and probably won't be). Thread is just a bit of New Year's fun, so no flame wars. If you want a flame war join any winter tyre thread. You will not be disappointed.

I did have...... but preferred to spend £3250 on the CL420......wonderful car.

Mic

I like the idea of a W126, but 15mpg would bankrupt me before long.

I'd probably go for a W124 cabriolet. I'm not too fussed about which engine, but it would be either that lovely metallic greeny-black or almandine, with grey or cream leather.

I'd go for a R129 if I thought I could afford to run it.
Do you mean petrol? MPG is about the same as our V6 Vito van ... and that drinks diesel, which is more expensive! Other than that the costs have been pretty minimal in nearly 8 years. Approx. £1200 in total for gearbox electrical plate (common problem with the 5-speed auto box) and new ADS spheres all round a few years later ... plus routine servicing (gets 40% labour discount plus 10% off parts at a local main dealer). Tax & insurance are both pretty cheap, it's never failed an MOT (or even had an advisory).

Every now and again I think I ought to get rid of it as it doesn't do a lot of mileage, but it's a great drive and it's really not much of an extravagance to keep so I plan to hang on to it for the foreseeable future :)

Other than that the costs have been pretty minimal in nearly 8 years. Approx. £1200 for gearbox electrical plate (common problem with the 5-speed auto box) and a few years later new ADS spheres all round ...

Every now and again I think I ought to get rid of it as it doesn't do a lot of mileage, but it's a great drive

Somewhat contradictory statements there, comparing your SL to your Van. The van is a daily and long distance driving vehicle, the SL a summer low mileage play toy, so repair costs should be a lot lower.

Somewhat contradictory statements there, comparing your SL to your Van. The van is a daily and long distance driving vehicle, the SL a summer low mileage play toy, so repair costs should be a lot lower.

I was only comparing the fuel consumption to the Vito's. Actually though insurance is about the same too.

I would still maintain that cost of ownership is pretty modest for a reasonably 'exotic' 15 year old car.

one of the supercharged 320's an slk32 or a c32 estate if I could find one rust free and put the change aside for running costs

The reasons....

Everyday usability

Classic looks

Battleship build

Great taste and judgement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom