If you lived in the USA what wheels would you choose.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reggie-rock

Car
2015 E Class coupe 220 diesel bluetec, 2009 Mitsubishi Colt 1.3
Quinton Wilson has just returned from America where he refuelled a Mustang from empty to full for £26.
That got me thinking, I wonder what I would drive if I lived there? A big engined car is tempting but what is the point with the max speed limit being only 55mph.
I must admit I have drawn a blank at the moment.

65mph on most out of town freeways.

Anything 5 litre+ :D

Last edited:
Since the whole continent is flooded with Japanese and American cars that releases new models every 6 months, anything European will stand out , which is what I would stick to.. V6 (at least) or V8 will do nicely...

And they don't drive as slow as you think and hear about the 55 limit being all over in the US. Different style and habits , yes, but not slow !

Last edited:
I'd have two cars. As KillerH said something with a big V8 and an Acura (Honda) NSX simply because both are massive value there.

I'd love an immaculately restored '57 Chevy, but I'd be scared to drive it in heavy traffic.

1957-chevy-bel-air-chevrolet-archives.jpg

Maybe a Ford F150…

2015-Ford-F-150-Platinum.jpg

Certainly need more than one vehicle -

American heavy metal, Mustang, Charger, Challenger??
European V8 for the class and style, and for longer distances.
Something sporty and convertible, maybe classic.
Pickup truck

I'd also have to have a go at building a hotrod, model A Ford maybe.

I am American retired in UK. Over there (California) I had Fox body Mustang GT convertible for fun, Lincoln Town Car for distance, Jeep CJ7 for mountains in winter. Here I have CLK320 and would upgrade to CLS if I could afford it. In USA they need those big 4WD SUV's to haul around 300 pound people. Every time I go back I am amazed at the size of the population. I am no lightweight at 15 stone but I would be considered a "Medium" nowadays.

A 4wd E63S wagon - and I'd enjoy the sub 4.0 second 0-60 :thumb:.

Something like a Lincoln Town Car or Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham for cruising around in.

For more practical purposes a Buick Roadmaster Wagon with the LT1 engine, Mercury Colony Park, Buick Electra or Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Wagon.

anything European will stand out

You're kidding right? The US is full of Mercs, BMW and Audi.

If you exclude ze Germans, then yeah, there's very few French, next to no Spanish, and few Italian excluding the supercars.

in 69 I was working at Canaveral (military) I was using a Big block lazy 427 Chevy Corvette, single digit economy, but it wasn't a worry I was paid in sterling, the exchange back then was 2.65 usd to the £ gas was 22cents a gallon, yes 22 cents, albeit their gallon was a fifth smaller than ours, it was still cheap. back home, if memory serves, our gallon of 5* was near 7 shillings.

2012-ford-f-150-svt-raptor-front-three-quarter.jpg

Really quite fancy one of these!!

My friend across the road has had one of his Dodge Challengers shipped over so he can sell it. He has promised me a go. I must admit it looks fantastic and the sound of the engine sounds like thunder, so could be tempted by this.

My friend across the road has had one of his Dodge Challengers shipped over so he can sell it. He has promised me a go. I must admit it looks fantastic and the sound of the engine sounds like thunder, so could be tempted by this.

Possibly the best looking muscle car ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom