If you were going to sell your car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maha

Car
Suzuki Alto
HI All,

I wanted to get your views on the best time and way to sell a car.

If you were going to sell your car:

1. Which ad site would you use
2. Would you use pictures and videos etc
3. How would you write ad to attract
4. How would you make sure you price it competitvley
5. What is the best time of the year to sell it

Thanks all

ebay, avoid Autotrader like the plague.

All you get from AT is a terrible, old fashioned UI and advert with loads of Spam.

Add as many photos as you can, at least 20+ including all the areas people want to see, a clear photo of each side, front and rear.

Dont take your photos with a crappy HDR filter or Instragram filter either. doesnt make your car look 'arty' or better.

Include as much detail as possible and do include any issues the car might have.

Last edited:
Ideally take photos on a sunny day with plenty of light cloud cover to soften the shadows. Look out for reflections. Move the car around if necessary.

And watch the background. Anything scruffy in the background (weeds, rubbish, scruffy walls etc) gives a poor impression.

I'm not saying that you need to drive out to a scenic road - just somewhere that looks ok - no vandalism, muddy driveway, etc.

Meldrew2 said:
Ideally take photos on a sunny day with plenty of light cloud cover to soften the shadows. Look out for reflections. Move the car around if necessary. And watch the background. Anything scruffy in the background (weeds, rubbish, scruffy walls etc) gives a poor impression. I'm not saying that you need to drive out to a scenic road - just somewhere that looks ok - no vandalism, muddy driveway, etc.
Excellent advice. It is worth taking a short trip to somewhere attractive. Also go for some interesting angles like at this dealer's site (where I used to photograph the cars and set the standards) http://www.lodgemotor.co.uk/mercedes-benz-used-cars-55

Good grammar and spelling, avoid jargon (first to see will buy).

Avoid huge blocks of text, give details of service history and maintenance.

If it has good tyres show them (and the manufacturer).

Don't state the obvious, everyone looking at an S class knows it's a luxury car.

Last edited by a moderator:
To contradict slightly above, I have had far more success with Autotrader than eBay - and the number of timewasters was perhaps 10% of the 'bay.
This is based on perhaps 20 cars over two years. Buyers seem a lot less likely to muck about if they actually have to pick up a phone and ring you instead of useless inane messages.
AT site now has up to 20 pictures in hi res.
The advice about jargon/b*llcrap though is completely correct.
Put it up here for a week first to gauge reaction/pricing (although personally for me, forums are the worst place to sell cars, the best for parts).
Timing - avoid the three weeks weeks before Christmas and all of January unless you price it really keenly or have something really desirable (like a "present" car perhaps).

Thank you loads, i thik i will put it up for sale in Feb or March again and follow all the advice,

I always take photos of the car when I first buy it, and then use those photos around 10 years later when I sell it.

In my defence though the car usually looks the same when I come to sell it, as it did when I first bought it :bannana:

Be very honest in the description and photographs. I once viewed a car miles from home which had a brilliant advert on paper, but the car was awful. Yes he mentioned the full respray and wheel refurbs but didn't say they were poorly done. He said it had a factory sunroof but it was aftermarket. 500 quid wasted on trains thanks to him. Avoid phrases like 'best you will ever see' etc.

Best time to sell in summer, cars dont sell in winter for some reason.
I would advise you to use auto trader and Gumtree (free).
Upload as many photos
Dont waffle on too much either
List out main points

If you want a rough idea on how to lay it out let me know i can show you some of mine

I sold a car last week via Facebook car buy and sell groups. Added it to a few local ones.

Advertised it and within 30 mins had around 10 messages, within 4 hours it had sold and had gone.

Cash sale, no fees, and with using a local Facebook group for buyer was local ish... Around 25 miles away.

It's worth a go for sure.

1. Which ad site would you use - Probably eBay
2. Would you use pictures and videos - Sure, why not
3. How would you write ad to attract - Get really descriptive about how cool and luxurious the car is :p
4. How would you make sure you price it competitvley - See what other people are doing online, and price it a tiny bit cheaper
5. What is the best time of the year to sell it - Maybe spring/summer?

For me Ebay is the way to go, though my CLK was bought via Autotrader.

I sold my Civic recently which the CLK replaced. Ebay classified ad done the trick for me but only really got interest in the last 7 days of the listing. I imagine that has something to being nearer the top of searches by default.

Autotrader were expensive and got me next to no interest at all. Decided not to renew that ad.

Gumtree, I took my listing down after a few days. Received the most ridiculous offers and numerous time wasting calls. In my view paying to advertise says more positive things about the seller and car compared to exclusive use of free listings.

My advice would be to price it right and don't hide anything. Also as above, good photos and good grammar.

Just a couple of points to add to the suggestions above

When taking photos, make sure your car is empty ie don't leave in empty wrappers or bottles of Red Bull/water/Coca Cola in the drinks holders.

Don't take the photos in a car park, I haven't seen an advert yet that hasn't looked a bit shady when photographed outside the local ASDA.

Thanks all i will try the facebook group as well did not think of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom