If you work hard to too could own a MB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would nominate the Subaru Outback as the "old money" stealth wagon. :cool: Usually several years old , never clean, complete with a tow bar for the Rice trailer , they are suitably low key but expensive when new. A dog guard and couple of immaculate golden labs on travel rugs in the boot might give the game away. ;)

My brother usually drives around in his old VW Sharan, and often sleeps in it when he's away from home. He always looks as though he spent the night in it, the majority of his clothes having come from charity shops. His wife's car is a small Seat (no idea of the model) with dents in every panel. Her clothes look even worse than my brother's and her hair does a very good impression of a hedge. My brother is a lecturer at Oxford University and a successful architect. They live in a mortgage-free large 5-bed detached in Oxford, where they own five other houses that they rent out. They also own a 2-bed flat in Kensington. Appearances certainly are deceptive. But it was still hard work that got him there and at 73 years old he's still working, mostly doing odd-job maintenance work on all his houses.

Why does he sleep in a car when he owns many properties.
Why does he purchase clothing from a charity shop.

Sounds a bit odd to me. Maybe a bit of a loon.

A guy that owns many valuable properties thus taking a lot of rent but is happy to wear used clothes, have scruffy hair and be happy for his wife to have even worse hair.

Where do their priorities lie.

perhaps he just doesnt feel the need to waste money on clothes. Even if I won the lottery something in me would baulk at paying stupid money for stuff. The most expensive place I go to is Next.

Spending half decent money on clothes is not a waste. Most of my wardrobe is from Next.

What I cannot understand is a chap who obviously invests a lot of money in property and probably takes in many thousands a month in rent and then buys clothes from a charity shop and has bad hair.

There is a middle ground.

Not really Darrell,

Everyone has things in life that they think are more important than others.

Nothing at all wrong in buying clothes from charity shops, good on him I say.

He is obviously not into clothes or cars.

If I won millions tomorrow I wouldn't change my buying habits for clothes one bit. Because I think buying a £50+ t-shirt is a little OTT.

However I would change my car buying because I love cars.

I buy stuff from Next but am equally happy with the matalan and primark shirts. And I defy anyone to look at me now and say, that's a Next slimfit rather than a Primark slimfit.

I certainly wouldn't pay hundreds of pounds for shoes, shirts, trousers etc.

and charity shops are often stuffed full of designer stuff bought by people who've paid a fortune and worn it twice.

You are correct about the pricey stuff to be found in charidee shops but you miss the point.

The chap who started off this particular conversation bigged up his brother owning a few million in property yet driving a couple of **** cars, having bad hair and buying 2nd hand clothes.

Why has your brother invested so much in property but so little in his personal appearance?

Why does he sleep in a car when he owns many properties.
Why does he purchase clothing from a charity shop.

Sounds a bit odd to me. Maybe a bit of a loon.

A guy that owns many valuable properties thus taking a lot of rent but is happy to wear used clothes, have scruffy hair and be happy for his wife to have even worse hair.

Where do their priorities lie.

Who knows - see post #24 - these people are around.

Darrell, this is John (Developer) in his younger days. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were me, I'd at least wear the right shoes.

And you're moaning about someone purchasing clothes from a charity shop ;0)

Can we ban this low life's from our forum !lol
My best t-shirt is from snap on van!

As our mothers always told us (or a granny or aunt), "look after the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves".
Building up capital well, requires being very careful about money in most cases, so add that to "not changing how I am if I become rich" means that it should not be a surprise that many self-made wealthy people don't flaunt or waste it, eh?
In the UK we've had rampant consumerism for a while, with the highest consumer debt levels in Europe for a long time. Buying stuff on credit, starting and staying in debt, is counter productive, IMO, to long term wealth creation at the citizen level. Also maybe this guy just wasn't into clothes

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom