If you're going to have a puncture .......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scooby_Doo

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Macan S
Whilst my wife's "A" class was in for a service with MB last week it was found that both rear springs had snapped. Declined MB's quote and took it to my local Tyre/Service centre and whilst there on Monday ordered 2 new Goodyear Assymetric 3's for my C207 to replace the rear Continentals which had covered 7200 miles.
Later that day whilst driving along the M4 the tyre pressure monitor flashed up that I had lost about 30Kpa from my left rear tyre , damn , no spare.I reduced my speed to about 55mph but the pressure didn't go any lower so kept driving and when I got home checked the tyre and found a nail in the centre of the tread.
Phoned the Tyre centre and my tyres would be in the following day ,so I decided to drive to work and call back in the afternoon to get the new tyres fitted , keeping a wary eye on the Tyre pressure monitor.
So one good thing , TPM very useful , and one bad thing , no bloody spare.:(
I have a spare 19" alloy so when I have the front tyres changed I'll put one of the old tyres on this and keep it in the boot , which is empty for 95% of the time.
Only thing, I'll have to buy a jack and a wheelbrace as it hasn't got these either.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't bother lugging a full size spare wheel and tyre around all the time unless you're likely to be driving in the boonies.

Major puncture: Mobile phone + Mobilo = sorted.

Minor puncture: Use inflator from the toolkit to blow it up good and hard and drive on until the pressure has dropped too low. Repeat as necessary until destination is reached = sorted.

Is the spare 19" alloy the correct offset and/or width to use on both front or rear?

Personally I wouldn't bother lugging a full size spare wheel and tyre around all the time unless you're likely to be driving in the boonies.

Major puncture: Mobile phone + Mobilo = sorted.

Minor puncture: Use inflator from the toolkit to blow it up good and hard and drive on until the pressure has dropped too low. Repeat as necessary until destination is reached = sorted.

This. - Yes, if you're in the middle of nowhere it's worth having a spare (that would fit either axle), but if push comes to shove you can find a mobile fitter than can change the tyre on the roadside.

Is the spare 19" alloy the correct offset and/or width to use on both front or rear?
The spare alloy is a 19" AMG that I bought for my previous C207. The wheels are the same size & offset front and rear although the rear tyres are wider, that's why I was going to use an old front tyre rather than a rear just in case the wider tyre would scrub against anything on the front.

That's very unusual to have the same width rim and same offset front and rear, just with wider tyres fitted. Every staggered set-up I've owned or looked at have wider rims on the rear.

Front and rear wheels have exactly the same part No. Tyres are 255/30 R19 rear and 235/35 R19 fronts.

i carry a plug kit £5 on ebay - priceless.

7200 miles on a pair of tyres ? Ouch

Vas ist das ?

Fixing a puncture with the tyre on the rim.

51pTp2agVZL._SY450_.jpg

HTB1MzsOGXXXXXb1XXXXq6xXFXXXb.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T-rmhXUR8o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom