Ignition Barrel issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

englishdas

Car
57 E200 Kompressor
W124%2BIgnition%2BBarrel.jpg
>

I've been trying to remove this lock, as I have a new one that doesn't get stuck everytime the missus goes to Tescos.

But this is as far as I've got, And i can't get any further. I sort of know about the grooves and trying to force some springs in the back, but I can't get em to release. Can I just drill the whole thing out somehow as I have a new lock? Or is the slot/groove/ release thing the only option?

If so, I think I'll call a lad up in leeds who has the stuff. I'm 12hours into jiggling wire about, and need another outcome.

Last edited:
You just turn the key to position one and pop the pins in.
Do not start drilling. Just let someone with the pins change it over for you.
It will take them minutes

Thanks guys, Alf, I think I'm gonna have another play at it, but without drilling etc...

Dec, that's the best guide yet. Nice big pictures too.

If no luck, will make the phone call. It appears the 'penny' has broken off my lock, so i guess the back of the lock has done the same. One more go...

put the pins into your new lock and you will see how it works, then it makes it a lot easier to know what you have to do with the old lock. I do it with a medium sized paperclip.

FIXED: Irritating ignition barrel W124

Well, after scouring the house for suitable gauge wire, I dismantled a (im assuming old) bracelet of the missus.

It looked Paperclip sized as you suggested Jaym, and had a quick fiddle. Still nothing. The wire was right, but it turned out the 'penny' the front bit of the locking mechanism just wasn't lined up anymore, no matter how I fitted it on (as it had come off as mentioned before. Anyone currently having this problem do not panic it's not over yet)

I could see that the key at position 1 wasnt lining the penny up with the grooves on the lock, so I took the penny off and gave it a good dremelling. See below.
2012-08-13

Now everything lined up as the grroves on the penny were no longer necessary. I used the pins Jay mentioned, had a basic fumble around (I mean, No finesse at all whatever,) and the lock seemed to just pop forward a bit.

Out came/went the old, and in went the new. Sorted.

THanks all.

I have a slight problem with my W124 COUPE Ignition,would i need to change anything eles apart from the Barrel which sticks know and then.any help.

Just the barrel. You'll have two different keys unless you buy & change all the other locks too.

If it's sticking now & then change it NOW while you can still get it to turn. If it locks in the 'off' position then it is a much bigger problem.

Just the barrel. You'll have two different keys unless you buy & change all the other locks too.

If it's sticking now & then change it NOW while you can still get it to turn. If it locks in the 'off' position then it is a much bigger problem.

absolutely agree with Neil.

It is a No 1 priority on your TO DO list.

Just the barrel. You'll have two different keys unless you buy & change all the other locks too

Or unless you order a new barrel from Germany keyed to the VIN of your car. That's what I have always done because it means you can retain the original keys

Nick Froome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom