Ignition/Fuel Malfunction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joe

Car
W203
Hi Everyone,
Last Night whilst Returning home on the Motorway, I noticed a Orange Warning light appear on the Dash (looks like an engine and Transmission shape) The car was driving ok and I carried on until i came off the motorway and stopped at lights. The Car Idled very rough and I carried on until Home.
This Morning I drove it to Road Range and they put it on their Computer to check and reset the fault.
The 17 year old who checked and reset it for Me said, it was a Misfire on a Cylinder and It would not happen again.
He gave me a print out in case in did happen again (lol) and I need to show it to the next guy i take it to (the proper Mechanic?)
BTW ...although the light remained on going to Road Range the Idle was ok (I think turning the engine off last night must have reset something?)
I just thought I would share this with the Group.

My car is a w203 (c180 53 reg...6000 miles)

If the car was out of warranty would the dealer charge for resetting a fault?
Or would they look harder for a fault to charge for?
Can Resetting be done without going to the dealer?

Joe (Firing on all Cylinders) :p

Last edited:
joe said:
Hi Everyone,
Last Night whilst Returning home on the Motorway, I noticed a Orange Warning light appear on the Dash (looks like an engine and Transmission shape) The car was driving ok and I carried on until i came off the motorway and stopped at lights. The Car Idled very rough and I carried on until Home.
This Morning I drove it to Road Range and they put it on their Computer to check and reset the fault.
The 17 year old who checked and reset it for Me said, it was a Misfire on a Cylinder and It would not happen again.
He gave me a print out in case in did happen again (lol) and I need to show it to the next guy i take it to (the proper Mechanic?)
BTW ...although the light remained on going to Road Range the Idle was ok (I think turning the engine off last night must have reset something?)
I just thought I would share this with the Group.

My car is a w203 (c180 53 reg...6000 miles)

If the car was out of warranty would the dealer charge for resetting a fault?
Or would they look harder for a fault to charge for?
Can Resetting be done with going to the dealer?

Joe (Firing on all Cylinders) :p

Most faults can be reset by either pressing the reset on the dashboard, or turning the car off and restarting. This clears most faults but they are all logged in the ECU for the dealer to access later.

Since a first service on 29th January the Engine Diagnostic MIL has come on 5 times. The car is C-Class Estate with the 200K engine. MB have the car now and this is the fifth attempt at a fix. The first attempt involved a replacement of the air analyzer, the 2/3/4 involved changing the fuel/air mixture and now they believe the exhaust air valve is faulty and have replaced that. I have asked them to do an extended test which they are doing. All work has been carried out under warrenty with a replacement car provided. The mileage is approx 17,000 and the car was running well before the service...the coincidence with the service may be random. I would be interested to hear of any other owners experiencing problems with the OBD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom