Ignition Kill Switch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

meeka

Car
2001 mercedes e320 cdi Elegance
Hi,
I was wondering has any one out there have an Ignition Kill Switch on their Mercedes.
I bought a 2001 Mercedes E320 Cdi and found one on mine.
The previous owner did not know it was there.
I worked out easily enough what it was.

My main concern is would there be any chance of the switch failing when driving and damage being done to the gearbox. My car is Automatic.
I have never had an Automatic car before and have wondered what would happen if it cut out when driving and what damage could be done to the car.

Thank-you,
Brian..

Some 30 years ago, I drove a 1.7L Open Record with a 3-speed automatic transmission and a steering wheel mounted gear lever.

Driving at around 30mph, I accidentally shifted into Reverse.

The car screeched to a halt as if the brakes were slammed... I started the engine, put it back in Drive, and it was fiine after that.

Yes, coasting with the engine off is generally not good news for the automatic transmission, but on a rare or one-off basis it will not cause any noticable damage.

Hi,
Thank-you,
I always drove manual gear cars and you could always quickly clutch if the car engine looked like it was going to die.

It all depends if its an ignition or starter kill switch, to find out, start the car and then flick the switch, if the engine keeps running and you can drive then you have noting to worry about.

If the engine stops when you flick the switch then you should make further checks as to how well the switch was wired up and if the switch itself is of good quality.

Dec

If its a proper Kill switch it will kill everything, . My Impreza and M3 both had kill switches which disconnected complete electrical power to everything

If its a proper Kill switch it will kill everything, . My Impreza and M3 both had kill switches which disconnected complete electrical power to everything

Do you think his E320Cdi has been used as a racing car, then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom