Ignition Module Delete

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by kylem, Mar 2, 2014.

1. kylem

kylem New Member

Car:
    Mercedes CLK200 Kompressor
    Hi, fairly new here, trying to gather some info. I have had some ignition module problems on my 2001 (w208) clk 200. I am going to have to replace it, but I was wondering, is there any special circuitry in there or does it literally act as a big switch.

If so I would really like to bypass the whole thing and wire everything into three switches. One for the first position of the key, one for the second, and then one for the starter.

So what I'm asking is, can it be done, a wireing diagram as for what wires do what, please if you can help out, do be specific, replays like 'circuit p30' don't really help me.

Finally, not to sound arrogant, but I just want to know if it can be done, I don't want replays like 'if it was better that way, MB would have done it that way in the first place'

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    The EIS passes signals via the CAN, it isn't a switch as such.

You could bypass the EIS if you have a CAN signal emulator.

3. OP
    OP
    kylem

kylem New Member

Car:
    Thanks for the reply, Sorry to be an amature here, but what is a CAM? And could I scavenge the necessary circuitry from my dodgey ignition module

4. guydewdney

guydewdney Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    906 Sprinter 313cdi
    CAN is short for CANBUS. Basically a form of single wire communication between modules. The indicator switch, for example, might tell via the can, to switch the light on. It doesnt actually donthe switching.

So, no, its not a switch.

5. OP
    OP
    kylem

kylem New Member

Car:
    Ahh, I understand. Unfortunatley I feel this is probably above what I am willing to try.

Last question, as my ignition module needs replaced, is it simply a matter of buying one form the breakers yard and reprogramming my keys once installed or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks

6. OP
    OP
    kylem

kylem New Member

Car:
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the two little green and green/white wires coming from the ignition module do. They are the two thinnest wires there and come out of their own little plug. Unfortunately thats whats failed in mines, and half of the clip is securley wedged in the module. The car starts without them, but immedatley dies, then fails to start again.

7. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    They are CAN wires. Controller Area Network.