IIS SMTP on XP Home Edition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

damyers

Car
55 reg SLK 55 AMG
Right - the latest problem on my new PC!

PC came shipped with XP Home Edition rather than Pro. As such you are not supposed to be able to run IIS on it. With a log of 'playing' and help from the web I have now patched together an IIS install on it which appears to work AOK.

The only apsect that does not work is the SMTP Service. Unfortunately the reason why I wanted IIS installed in the first page is for a particular bit of software that my company produces and that software relies on SMTP being installed and working.

Any ideas how I can do this - the SMTP Service fails with a code 126 module cant be found but doesnt tell me what module!

A Google search hasnt been much help in this case and all the IIS install notes for XP HE conveniantly say dont install the SMTP!!

I dont really want to upgrade to XP Pro unless neccesary so any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dave

xp home is nothing more than ME with a fancy face.

go for pro , your not wasting time of money with the upgrade

Thanks guys - looks like Pro is the way to go - I will get the Credit Card out :(

fuzzer said:
xp home is nothing more than ME with a fancy face.

go for pro , your not wasting time of money with the upgrade

I don't think that's true. It would be true to say that ME is nothing more than 98 with a fancy face. XP Home is pretty much the same as XP pro with some facilities removed. Apparently one line of code can be hacked to change Home to Pro (Lite?).

If you don't believe me read this.

Bugblatter said:
XP Home is pretty much the same as XP pro with some facilities removed.

Yeah - I agree - from what I did to get IIS working it simply looks like the config is more 'locked down' and the install files don't contain all of the files needed for the Pro features.

Anyway - ordered an Edumication copy (for my Nephew of course!) of Pro - hopefully it wont destroy what I have setup when I upgrade :crazy:

Bugblatter said:
I don't think that's true. It would be true to say that ME is nothing more than 98 with a fancy face. XP Home is pretty much the same as XP pro with some facilities removed. Apparently one line of code can be hacked to change Home to Pro (Lite?).

If you don't believe me read this.

Tis always the small print though that catches you out...

""""There is one big drawback, though. Users won't be able to install Service Pack 2, unless they integrate SP2 in the installation CD. And that's probably too much trouble for most users, who of course are better off buying a legal version anyway. It is expected that Microsoft will change the setup""""

These service packs usually have interesting upgrades (now where have I heard that word before?? ;) )

John

All upgraded to Pro and working fine now.

No files lost in the upgrade :bannana:

Ah! I like a happy ending! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom