Ikea Furniture - what do you think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickmann

Car
Porsche 911
Me an' the missus are revamping our lounge and dining room. Being stuck on a rock (Guernsey) we are well used to high prices and low choice, so we use mail order for many things (including my C-Class).

We've looked at the Ikea website and found some stuff we like, however SHOCK HORROR Ikea does not offer mail order. This means getting the car on a ferry and spending a weekend driving to Bristol / London to buy the stuff and bring it back in the car.

That in itself is not so bad as it will be a good excuse to get the TomTom Go that I have promissed my self to replace my Garmin. BUT - and this is a big but, I will be mightily upset if we get to Ikea and their stuff turns out to be flimsy junk.

So - does anybody out there have any of this Ikea stuff, and how do you rate it? I know this is subjective but it's better than a wild stab in the dark...

Go to the Bristol Ikea, but then again I am bias, Bristol is a wonderful city :bannana: :bannana: :D :D :D Ikea furniture is IMO generally quite good, however, again IMO when you next redecorate, you may be replacing some of the items, don't get me wrong, the furniture is well made, but some of their designs while acceptable now may not be on the next redecoration. When you do go to Ikea, be prepared for a long wait. It is a very popular shop and attracts a lot of customers. They cannot all be wrong, good hunting

Some Ikea stuff is very good, well built and strong - other stuff is tat but only designed to last this colour scheme :rolleyes: so is fit for purpose.

The worst failing is with the flat pack stuff - often not all the bits are there, screws etc, but they will just tell you call into their customer services to collect replacement ones - not easy when you're on a diff piece if land!! But a full explanation of the inconvenicne etc to you will usually see them agree to put them in the post for you.

We've had loads of stuff from them over the years and we have had to make many a return trip as pices are damaged etc - there's never a problem in getting them replaced - but unless you build it there and then - this will be a prob if it happens to you.

hth

got my full kitchen and all our office furniture at work from ikea and I think its excellent value. Speaking as an ex joiner some of the carcasses arn't ace but doors, drawer mechs and cabinetry and general finish is very good quality.

Best piece of advice is to check as soon as you go in the store whether your items are self serve or from the main warehouse, if their main warehouse order straight away as it sometimes is a couple of hours wait for picking and you can have a wander around whilst waiting, I also phone for stock availability before going, been bitten before with that one!

S

We got loads of book shelf units, excellent quality, price and easy to assemble. Downsides.......take a flask for the queue to pay and get out of the place!!!

Everyone gives it a good slagging about the quality .. but you get what you pay for really...

If you want the best , get a commissioned piece .. if you havnt just won the lottery ... go to ikea ..

Ohh , and why on earth do you need sat nav when you live in an Island the size of Guernsey ? I would have expected as much from a bean .. but not you !! :D :p :eek:

Most of it is very good but there are some things which are so bad or plain silly they leave you gasping. Shopping for a batch of stuff at Ikea can be a gruelling experience because ot is so popular. Allow plenty of time, like a whole day, more if you are coming from afar and have to decide before you buy.

Take water, paracetamol and a secret supply of chocolate for when you or your partner has a crisis. It will happen.

But never, ever, set foot in the place on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday! If Hell exists, it will be much like Ikea on a Bank Holiday weekend. (I have an mental image of many Ikea veterans nodding grimly at this point)

Monday/ Tuesday can be frustrating because some of the popular items may not have been restocked. IMO Wednesday/Thursday is the best bet for mounting an expedition. The staff may have begun to forget how dreadful the preceding weekend was by then and that helps a lot.

I purchased a batch of their modular office furniture recently. Very good value but some fixings were missing from one of the desk kits and had to make a return trip the out of stock items a week later.

Good luck.

Thanks for all your varied advice - I appreciate it.

Fuzzer - I need Satnav precisely BECAUSE I live in Gsy. I have never had to learn geography. I still shudder when I remember my Fareham / Farnham mixup, or the time I crossed Salisbury Plain 3 times in an hour.

Anytime I set foot (or should that be wheel??) in France or England I would be completely knackered without a co-pilot doing the navigation. Given that I do this between 7 and 10 times a year I reckon £350 for TomTom Go is peanuts for the hassle it saves me.

Anyway - who said gadgets have to be useful?? :)

Satch said:
But never, ever, set foot in the place on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday! If Hell exists, it will be much like Ikea on a Bank Holiday weekend. (I have an mental image of many Ikea veterans nodding grimly at this point)
*nod*

nickmann said:
Thanks for all your varied advice - I appreciate it.

Fuzzer - I need Satnav precisely BECAUSE I live in Gsy. I have never had to learn geography. I still shudder when I remember my Fareham / Farnham mixup, or the time I crossed Salisbury Plain 3 times in an hour.

Ahh well , as long as i keep your internet going , i work for Cwgsy ;)

fuzzer said:
Ahh well , as long as i keep your internet going , i work for Cwgsy ;)

Somebody has to.

Remotely from Glasgow or onsite? If the latter then you can prob see me out of your window!

nickmann said:
Somebody has to.

Remotely from Glasgow or onsite? If the latter then you can prob see me out of your window!

Remotely from glasgow im afraid.Not even any trips looming :) ahh well :rolleyes:

fuzzer said:
Remotely from glasgow im afraid.Not even any trips looming :) ahh well :rolleyes:

Pity - it's very pleasant here at the moment. Although you know that because you can see the C&W webcam on the comms mast :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom