Ikea Riots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Never mind Charles and Camillla I quite fancy 22 servants, 8 gardeners, 4 bodyguards and a boatload of dosh Parker-Bowles, here we see how thin the veneer of society really is: ready to rip each other to bits over an Ikea sofa:

Londoners riot over leather Ikea sofas: Man stabbed

A man was stabbed and five other people received hospital treatment after thousands of bargain-hungry customers caused a stampede at the midnight opening of a new Ikea furniture store in north London, British authorities said on Thursday. The Swedish retailer expressed shock and regret at the incident.

The stabbing victim, a man in his 20s, was attacked at around 1.30am near the Ikea store, a spokesperson for London's Metropolitan Police said, adding that his condition did not appear life-threatening.

The new Ikea warehouse in the Edmonton district had been due to operate 24 hours to mark the opening, but shut until further notice after about 40 minutes because of the unexpectedly large crowds.

About 6 000 people flocked to the Swedish furniture store, which had been offering special bargains including leather sofas for 45 pounds.

Many customers abandoned their vehicles in the middle of a major road near the shop and walked to the store, causing severe traffic difficulties, police said.

In addition to the stabbing victim, one patient was taken to hospital with chest pains and four others were treated for minor injuries, a London Ambulance Service spokesperson said.

Ikea said it had opened 12 other stores in Britain before and was stunned by the Edmonton stampede.

"Ikea could never have predicted and are genuinely overwhelmed at the outcome of the evening and the consequences that the opening of a home furnishing retailer has had," the retailer said in a statement.

"Under the current circumstances, Ikea Edmonton will remain closed until further notice. All advertised opening offers have been withdrawn. Ikea would like to express their concern and regret at what has happened at the opening of our new store."

The store opened at 12.01am on Thursday and was forced to close at 12.42am with crowd numbers estimated at between 5 000 to 6 000, an IKEA spokesperson said. She added that Ikea had liaised with police before the opening of the new store.

Assistant Divisional Officer William Bird, of the London Fire Service, said he had never seen anything like the crush before.

"It was extraordinary and to a certain extent unexpected," Bird told British Broadcasting Corporation radio news.

"There were crush injuries and people suffering from shock from the pushing and shoving."

I thought that it was like that every time I go to Ikea!

What do you expect ........ its in Edmonton ;)

Further proof that civilisation is rapidly drawing to a close! This is insanity, people!! :eek: :(

imagine how busy the returns desk would have been the next day with 6000 people returning their furniture that had a screw missing from the flat pack! Now that would have been a riot!

I must say that the people there last night were ignorant Ba*****ds !!!!!!
I go past the new store every night on the A406 in my lorry and people were just abandoning their cars on the dual carriageway and running to the store.
Poloce were there in force, lifting and removing cars as fast as they could, but it still took me over an hour to get 1/4 mile.
GET A LIFE :mad:

If anyone has a spare hour or two have a gander at this:

http://www.litrix.com/madraven/madne001.htm#1

Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds

By Charles MacKay.

It is all there: every folly of human greed, irrational crowd behaviour and the spread of idiotic fashions. The South Sea Buuble & Tulip Maina, exactly the same behaviour as that which caused E-Commerce madness and the Tech. Stock bubble of the late 1990's.

When was it written? 1841

"Such are the peculiarities of the London multitude, when no riot, no execution, no murder, no balloon, disturbs the even current of their thoughts. These are the whimseys of the mass - follies by which they unconsciously endeavour to lighten the load of care which presses upon their existence"

Nothing like leather sofas at £45 to bring out the worst in human nature :( Sad, extremely sad.

S.

The last time I went to IKEA (and it will be the last) I bought a kitchen unit. I had to queue to get into the car park, queue to get into the store, queue to get an assistant to print the form out, queue to hand the form in at the cash desk and queue to then pick up the unit. It took an hour and a half and it wasn't particularly cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom