Illegal U-turn or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timwood2000

Car
R320 CDI SE LWB '07, BENTLEY CONTINENTAL FLYING SPUR MULLINER '06, FIAT 500 LOUNGE '58 & BMW R1200RT
Was wondering what you think...

I was heading south (in heavy traffic) just south of Brixton high street (for those of you know S. London) and I made a u-turn, which I thought was perfectly legitimate. It was heavy traffic both ways and there were 2 lanes in each direction and no signs saying no u-turns or anything like that. I didn't cause any disruption to other traffic and wasn't in bus lanes or anything like that.

Next thing I know I have a local panda car with the blues on next to me accusing me of doing an illegal u-turn and that 'if traffic (police) had been there I would have got a ticket and points'.

I was very apologetic etc. and he eventually let me on my way, reluctantly, but it has irritated me all day that I genuinely do not know what offence I was allegedly committing?

Was this just an over enthusiastic cop, or do I need to re-read the Highway code?

Give the exact location so we can see it on Google Earth.

Give the exact location so we can see it on Google Earth.

You might need to give a bit more than that - was it the location that made it illegal or the manner and circumstances in which it was performed?

:dk:

Surely a u-turn is only illegal is carried out in an area where it is prohibited and signed accordingly.

The manner of the turn would surely attract careless or reckless driving or driving without due consideration for other road users ?

Surely a u-turn is only illegal is carried out in an area where it is prohibited and signed accordingly.

The manner of the turn would surely attract careless or reckless driving or driving without due consideration for other road users ?

Spot on.

Driving without due care and attention (for other road users) would make the manouvre illegal, as would performing it where prohibited.

I have vague memories of discussions about banning U Turns from Brixton Hill into Effra Road (have some friends who live in Tulse Hill) with the regeneration plans - maybe the ban has been extended along the whole street

more info here

http://brixtonhill.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom