Illness and Accidents. Hypochondriacs Corner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

To be fair I did have a far worse trauma to my lower leg tibia and fibula , they did save my foot though. People seem surprised when I say I now have a wooden leg and a real foot :D

Hmm.....where to start!?

Let's just say, I have previously been refused x-rays due to the number that I'd had because of accidents. Concussions, I've had a few. Broken bones, yep. Electric shocks, tick. Cuts and power-tool injuries, aha. Accidental overdose, yep. Air ambulance, yes.

I could go on, but I'm not sure if there's a limit on the size of allowed posts! :D

Apart from knocking out all my front teeth as a child, I have never really had many accidents. The worst was probably when a friend swung me against a door frame and i had to have my head stapled back together. Better hope I never go bald!

err.... I became paralysed swerving to miss a police car that was cresting a bend on the wrong side of the road (not blue lighting it - just taking a senior officer home for dinner and told to press on). The car was a lovely Cortina 1600 MK2. The year was 1978 and I was 20. I swerved to miss the oncoming car and over corrected getting back to left hand side of the road. The rear wheels clipped the kerb and the car rolled into a pillar box.

Fact: the pillar box is planted deep into the ground....

Still, I went from an unskilled manual worker to getting three degrees and a different career (although I happily give that all up to walk again). Such is life.

I really don't know why I posted this....

Last edited:
In my early teens I was swinging on a rope that was used for pulling bags up in a barn, the rope had a hook at the bottom, I slipped and the hook entered my short trousers and went in to my gut just missing my scrotum by a short and curly..... very lucky......indeed..phew!!

Chipped a few teeth and scraped much flesh off from being a nipper (normally jumping off ramps etc. whilst on various bikes over the early years or just coming off from messing around).

One of the memorable things for me is I used to work in a small PC building company in Bromley a long time ago.

We used to have PC kit laid out on the desk to test things / build machines etc. which wasn't in a case.

I had the usual power supply which just had the proper hard power switch (AT power supply as it was then).

Anyway, grabbed it as usual, like the weather presenters hold the button to skip to the next page in a forecast, suddenly locked my arm rigid and started making me convulse quite badly.

Unluckily for me - my colleagues had all buggered off into a room next door to watch a video clip so no one could see or hit the emergency power off.

In the end, I had a strong lower shelf with block of pine edging it off and I kicked my leg into it as hard as I could and managed to free myself.

Got away with it but I still have a big dent and chipped bone on my shin.

Turns out the switch had insulation around the metal terminals but it had just slipped slightly so my middle finger touched it.

Killed a small patch of flesh for a while too.

I developed a much healthier respect for electricity after that. :rolleyes:

Illnesses I have been fine with, never had a day off sick ever!!!

Work related injuries...loads. Stitches galore.

Aged 11, playing footy in the yard at school, my foot went into a drain (small6"x6" grate missing), as a fell I rotated, so foot ended up facing rearwards. 13 breaks and fractures - I was in plaster for around 5 months, lots of physio after as the muscles had turned to mush, but no lasting problems :)

Once whilst leaning over the F/Os seat on a 747-100 (in the hangar for maintenance) my chest came into contact with a live cable which someone else had stupidly draped over it. The jolt from 115v 400hz blew me out of the cockpit where I hit the top of the spiral staircase, I had a top-rail and 2 upright bruise on my back.......ouch. The guys thought it was hilarious afterwards. Natch :)

Managed to nail my finger to the shed one day, (30yrs ago) yelped and dropped the claw hammer behind me.......just out of reach, as I was nailing just above head height........had to yell for Mrs to come out and hand me the hammer to claw the nail out. :)

Hmm, nail - that reminds me...

Was once round an ex's house and stood in the kitchen with the aluminium back door open.

Stupidly had my hand on the wall adjacent to the frame where the door shuts and my thumb was just where the aluminium door met the aluminium frame and shuts into it.

CRACK! Luckily it only crushed my nail into my thumb and cracked a big piece of it inwards.

Wasn't as painful as I would have thought, at first, but once the pain kicked in properly it throbbed a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom