Illuminated door sills connections W210...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Msmax

Car
Mercedes E-290 TurboDiesel
Just ordered 4 illuminated door sills for my W210 (1996).

Any tricks for the electric connections?

Can it be connected to the doorswitch?

Any problems with lamp monitoring?

If it's anything like the W202, the door switch is the best option.There should be a constant live running down both sides of the car which you can tap into,then use the door switch as the earth.It is on mine anyway.Good luck:D

Thanks Pluggers.

Seems to be an easy job.

Just checked the schematics.

Seems the doorswitches are not activating any lamps. All are wired to some Control Unit, which connects through CAN to a second one. The second control unit activates interior overhead lamp and the ones in each door.

Bit tricky to connect my door sills to the door switches?

If I connect it in parallel to the lamps in the doors:
can the control unit get damaged due to overload current draw?

I have not had anything to do with the W210 electrical side of stuff so im just guessing on this one.Are your door switch's made of black plastic and look something like this?If they do the wires going into them could be earth wires as on mine.The 2 front doors switch's have 3 brown wires going to it, 2 are connected together before going to the switch these earth the courtesy lights.I have connected mine to these wires.The other brown earths the switch itself.

light switch.jpg

I had this problem when I installed illuminated sills on my W208.

As you correctly state, all of the interior illumination is controlled by the CANBUS. I found the easiest solution was to take alive supply from the main interior light. I considered getting a supply form the door puddle lamps - but it meant removing all the door trim which I didn't fancy. Don't waste you time searching for a feed in the multipole connector that feeds into the door - there is a CANBUS control module internally in each door that feeds the puddle lights.

Paul G

Originally posted by Paul Grainger
Don't waste you time searching for a feed in the multipole connector that feeds into the door - there is a CANBUS control module internally in each door that feeds the puddle lights.
Courtesy lamp is pins 1 and 5 of the 208 door control unit plug ;)

courtesy04.jpg

Thanks for all info guys!

Pluggers:
Are your door sills the originals from MB or replica?
The replica ones seems to have 2 blue LED's fitted on each side of the MB logo. Where as the originals have a blue backlight panel, I think!?

Can you please send me some good close-up pics?

Thanks.

The door sills I got from Euro car parts for £116 inc vat.Both front and back light up by a EL strip behind the sill.They are made to fit over the existing MB sill and are stuck on with 3M tape.Very easy to do :D

These piccys are of the front door

sill.jpg

15.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics.
Makes it clear.
They really look good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom