I'm all for dealers making a living but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
I'm interested in this E55. I've not sen it yet but I suppose it will be fine given it's at a MB dealer.

Mercedes E55 AMG AMG Used Car For Sale, Automatic Petrol - CompuCars

I have a car identical to this one below to p/ex but mine has COMAND and a pano roof. Same mileage and FMBSH, etc. 4 months AUC warranty remains too so no cost for dealer to fix any faults.

Mercedes E320 Used Car For Sale, Automatic Diesel - CompuCars

The dealer has offered me £15K for mine. His initial offer was £14K plus I pay for the Road Tax.

What does the panel think is a fair cost to change?

if he can buy your car for £15k and sell it for less than £17k, then that's a modest margin in my view. Think of all his overheads, office, loan, warranty cover etc,

if he can buy your car for £15k and sell it for less than £17k, then that's a modest margin in my view. Think of all his overheads, office, loan, warranty cover etc,

But the dealer will also have a margin on the E55. Mind you i'm crap at buying cars from dealers and they turn me over every time.

I suspect it depends on how much the dealer wants to move the E55 on.

Vlad - but what they usually do is inflate the p/ex on on the paperwork and drop the sale price on the new car. Technically very little VATable profit

Bit of a risk that one, as the old VAT inspectors are wise to that one and will often contact a random selection of people who PX'd their cars asking them what they got paid for it and if it doesn't stack up you end up in a world of pain!......+ if the PX price is over and above Trade Value, that can also open up some serious conversations.

I'm interested in this E55. I've not sen it yet but I suppose it will be fine given it's at a MB dealer.

Mercedes E55 AMG AMG Used Car For Sale, Automatic Petrol - CompuCars

I have a car identical to this one below to p/ex but mine has COMAND and a pano roof. Same mileage and FMBSH, etc. 4 months AUC warranty remains too so no cost for dealer to fix any faults.

Mercedes E320 Used Car For Sale, Automatic Diesel - CompuCars

The dealer has offered me £15K for mine. His initial offer was £14K plus I pay for the Road Tax.

What does the panel think is a fair cost to change?

Am I right you are seeking to change a 2006 E class for a 2004 pre facelift one? Hard to see that this makes sense. Much more reliable after the facelift and surely the 320cdi has enough grunt for the UK's overcrowed and speed limited roads?

As for values, your best bet is to go to the Glass's Guide website and for very little they will give you a full valuation on both cars. Obviously you want the retail value of his and the part ex value of yours. Personally I would prefer to own yours.

VAT on profit is the reason... Its mad.. the margin scheme means that instead of paying 17.5% on profit it turns out to be more like 50%....

Am I right you are seeking to change a 2006 E class for a 2004 pre facelift one? Hard to see that this makes sense. Much more reliable after the facelift and surely the 320cdi has enough grunt for the UK's overcrowed and speed limited roads?

As for values, your best bet is to go to the Glass's Guide website and for very little they will give you a full valuation on both cars. Obviously you want the retail value of his and the part ex value of yours. Personally I would prefer to own yours.

His isn't a facelift:thumb:

VAT on profit is the reason... Its mad.. the margin scheme means that instead of paying 17.5% on profit it turns out to be more like 50%....

Exactly....stupid system and seems completely illogical to me, especially as you cant reclaim VAT incurred on getting the car ready to offset against the VAT you make in profit.

exactly... i cant get my head around why they would have such a scheme. I end up giving all my profit to HMRC quarter after quarter.. its sickening.

Does anyone know exactly what one gets with the facelift and the year it took place?

That E55 looks over priced IMO.

Why don't you consider buying and selling privately? You could get about 15k for yours and pick up a good spec low mileage E55 for about 17k ish.

:thumb:

BigJim

I'm hopeless at buying privately - I'd be too scared of buying a lemon.

Besides in the past I've travelled to look at "immaculate" cars and been confronted by some of the biggest nails on the roads.

Selling privately is OK - I seem to sell Her Ladyships cars off the drive with just a notice in the car window.

I might put a notice in the car window, I live on a busy road so who knows.

I am just about to buy an E320 CDI with Pano Roof and Command etc Nov 2003, what are you asking for yours??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom