Im becoming a traiter ( kind of)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pepe

Car
c250 td 1998
Well after 3 years with my C250Td my head has been turned by another. Ive just bought a 2000 Audi A4 Tdi Avant which i originally bought to sell on but have fallen in love with it. Prob not half as nice as my Merc to look at but the Mpg has won me over big time ! On my fortnightly trips from bristol to leeds the best ive ever got in the merc was 38mpg, the same journey in the Audi ..60 Mpg, and for some reason, maybe because the merc auto and the Audi manual it seems to accelerate so much quicker. If i could keep both i would but considering the tanks of both cars are the same size (60l approx) and i can get an extra 280 miles from the audi i cant justify not keeping it.
thanks for all your advise over the past 3 years and ill still be a hanger on. If merc come up with a car to match this mpg someone let me know :eek:

Last edited:
That's pretty impressive mpg ! What engine is in your Audi, and what sort of speed are you driving to average 60mpg ?

S.

its the 1.9 110 bhp model at a steady 70 mph but thats what i have to do to get 38mpg in the 250. A guy i work with has the same audi and has always ridiculed my mpg and now i know why. even driving normally in town its doing around 47 mpg. Ive never really fancied audis and this was the first time ive driven one and the ride and build quality seems to be up there with my merc. Maybe i could put the audi engine into my Merc :)

Nice one, thats very interesting that you have done that, the same thoughts are going through my mind. I was looking at the 2.5TDi A4 Avant as I thought the 1.9TDi would feel a little sluggish compared to the 2.5TD lump in the Merc. Obviously you dont find that, what bhp version A4 have you got, the 90, 110/115 or the 130bhp?

How do you find the front wheel drive compared to the rear wheel drive of the MB?

mines the 110, they do a 90 i think but they are supposed to be sluggish, Like i say maybe its the auto/manual comparison but if you put your foot down it just seems to fly so much quicker than my merc, Id recommend trying one just to see what i mean. It impressed me that an engine that much smaller could pull quicker but i think its the larger turbo on the 110 that does it, even from fairly low revs in fifth it pulls really well. the front wheel drive doesnt seem to make any difference to the drivability to me.

I drove Audi A4s (both the current model and the previoud model) and did not like the ride or the handling, although I loved the interior. The ride is jittery (the most recent model is much improved, but still nothing like the Merc) and artificial, the steering disconnected and vague, and the handling uninspiring. FWD will never be as pure as RWD. I would avoid it.

Anyway, jimmy, you already have the ubiquitous PD VW engine in your Golf, so why get a 1.9. You can never have too much power.

Think about a BMW 330d Touring.

i want an A8 coupe diesel....

or a 7 series coupe diesel....

alas there is no such thing (in my price bracket to my knowledge)

35mpg, 155 mph, 0-60 9 or less, Ubercoupe please... :D

brabus do a CL400 CDI actually ;)

I find this very interesting , as i was looking at leasing deals from starfleet and they are doing an a4 tdi 110 manual for the low 200's plus vat

fuzzer said:
brabus do a CL400 CDI actually ;)

I find this very interesting , as i was looking at leasing deals from starfleet and they are doing an a4 tdi 110 manual for the low 200's plus vat

pity the CL400 CDi would be like 200+ vat as well. but its just missing a few zeros...

maybe I should just find a crashed s400 CDi in germany (the only place i have seen them) and nick his engine

oops - im hijacking.. sorry.

I jst got back from Brussels. I drove my C250 TD estate at a steady 65 mph and i got 51.8 mpg from it. On the way back i drove at 90ish and got a 36.7 mpg average. I drove 405 miles on a half tank of diesel when driving at a constant 65 mph.

Last edited:
There was this thread in April, 65.2 mpg from a manual C220CDi.

Have a look at the diesel gauge and the mileage which was reset to 0 when i filled the tank up.

Attachments

• IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 126
I looked at the A6 1.9TDi multitronic and was very tempted. As you say pepe the MPG is impressive and I found the mulitronic box was smooth and quick. On the test drive I got 52 MPG from my house to my office in the A6 where I only get 40 MPG in my E-Class.
After much deliberation I went for the E as it was more spacious and had loads more toys but if my budge had been tighter then I would have picked the Audi as you get a good deal for the money.

Pepe,

Good luck with the Audi mate :) What colour is it? Hope it's a colour close to your old W202 ;)

S.

As most of you know, I have the Audi A4 Quattro Avant, 1.9 (2.0) TDI.
And I'm very impressed with it, good all round car.
I drive it hard and returns >40mpg all the time. The guys at Audi have tweeked the mangement box to push the bhp up a bit ;)
Which makes it sharp and nimble, even with the extra weight of the 4 wheel drive system.

But it goes round corners on RAILS ............... :D

KLP 92 said:
I jst got back from Brussels. I drove my C250 TD estate at a steady 65 mph and i got 51.8 mpg from it. On the way back i drove at 90ish and got a 36.7 mpg average. I drove 405 miles on a half tank of diesel when driving at a constant 65 mph.

:confused: There must be something seriously wrong with mine then?? On average I get around 400-440 miles on a full tank, and I mean from brimfull until when the light has been on for about 30 miles!!

Admittedly, if I drive like the accelerator pedal is made from red hot razor blades I can manage a bit more but not that much more, and it's hard to drive like a nun for over 400 miles. I thought something was wrong with it, I removed the injectors and had them tested, all were OK. I service it regularly, use injector cleaner I even removed the tuning box but still struggle to get over 30-35mpg as an average.

I just thought it was my fault, the way I drive but there appears to be nothing wrong with the car. When I drive our Golf TDi I still get the same 50+mpg that 'she' gets no matter how hard I drive it. I really would like to change the Merc, get rid of it and get an Audi preferably, the trouble is it is worth a lot, lot less than I would have hoped for. I took a big hit on my C180 to get a diesel but economically it was not worth it.

On the plus side, I like the feel and comfort of the Merc, I like the noise and the torque of the engine and the smoothness of the gearbox, the ride is superb and it still makes me grin, so I am generally pleased with it but feel it is time for a change to another brand, partly because the 202 is starting to look dated and not meaning to offend anyone the 203 looks like any other ordinary car on the road.

iirc i got 42 mpg at 85 with 4 adults, dog + weekend stuff in the S202 220 cdi i used to have... 30 mpg driving like a granny sounds a bit poor to me.

guydewdney said:
30 mpg driving like a granny sounds a bit poor to me.
with the price of petrol/diesel being what it is right now it's cheaper to run a petrol model!

KLP - is yours manual or auto ? Could be the auto box that's causing the poorer mpg on jimmy's .....

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom