I'm glad I don't drive in Russia.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
[YOUTUBE]lCzvtUbYS2A[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]NEJqTcgTUPw&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]UyBGVR4idO0&NR=1&feature=endscreen[/YOUTUBE]

It is interesting to note that excessive speed appears to be a major contributor to almost all crashes.

Even when the speeding vehicle was not 'at fault' , you just don't drive into a junction like a bat out of hell even if you do have the right of way (or green light).

And in general, traffic seem to be traveling at speed far to high for the condition of the road. Must be a Russia thing.

It is interesting to note that excessive speed appears to be a major contributor to almost all crashes.

Even when the speeding vehicle was not 'at fault' , you just don't drive into a junction like a bat out of hell even if you do have the right of way (or green light).

And in general, traffic seem to be traveling at speed far to high for the condition of the road. Must be a Russia thing.

I agree. Do they have insurance/is it compulsory? In some of the clips some drivers just drive away after a collision. Driving in London is a cakewalk compared to Russia.

The driving standards are the reason the tin-basher is busy. ;) LINK.

Extreme situation
Lets do same video for UK and trust me for 3 parties (who ever that will be) they will not want to drive in UK lol :)
And would believe it will apply to any country with video as in Q

1. Poor infrastructure. Majority of roads outside big cities are in appalling state and never get fixed. Roads in big cities are never fully fixed due to generally cold winters and much higher traffic flow than originally planned for. Forget road reflectors and marking - sometimes you'll be glad you have tarmac at all.

2. Political corruption on all levels. Ten years ago one could get a driving licence for less than weekly shopping at Tesco would be these days. What more, money can buy you innocence. Many just didn't bother to learn to drive at all.

Russia has world's all mineral and natural resources, yet life is pre-WWII outside Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Love Thy Country, people - life outside is much worse :)

The popularity of in car recording systems is a consequence of the need to provide visual evidence to back up insurance claims and criminal charges. The fact that so many people have these systems means that there is plenty of material unlike western countries where this is not so much the case.
Insurance third party is compulsory. All accidents on the public highway require a police presence and none of the vehicles can be moved until the police have taken measurements, statements and pictures. The police will then provide a report to each party with their decision of who is at fault. The non fault party then uses the report to initiate a claim against the other driver's insurance policy. It is all hard work, more so if you are not Russian. I did get a payout on my claim 8 years ago of around £1,000 equivalent after 3 months! The police were very even handed and fair with me and it greatly helped that I spoke to them in Russian. Russian driving isn't the best, but there are other countries just as bad. Remember that the videos are a compilation over a number of years so let's not take it all out of context. Some of the comments about roads and roadcraft in Russia are sweeping generalisations. I have driven around 20k miles in Russia over the last 8 years and I can assure you that those videos do not paint a typical picture of a trip to the shops or an inter town journey. Someone who came to the UK on holiday and watched "Police Interceptors" etc blah blah blah might form the view that we drive like dorks. Don't fall into the same trap please.
Les

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom