I'm glad I took the SL to work...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doodle

MB Enthusiast
Car
R129, KTM 1290SAR, Superb 272 wagon
...because the front of my house now looks like the Somme.

Get back from work to find the gas company have turned up and dug a trench you could lose a R-class in, without any sort of notification. It's definitely not emergency work, as they were tarting about at the end of the road at the end of last week.

The Civic looks like it's spent a month chasing Rommel around North Africa; I would have gone ballistic if it had been the SL, getting the dust out of the hood would have been a nightmare.

I've polled the local neighbours, some were notified, some weren't, so clearly this is a half-****d job. This extends to the works themselves - inadequate signage for the given works, blockage of the road by machinery in operation without a proper road closure, inadequate/no designated storage for plant equipment...the list goes on (so handy that a good friend is a civil engineer),

I'm going to have fun tomorrow :devil:

Aint it just a Bi*ch when you find out someone is doing any kind of work in your area..... i always have just washed my cars the day before to find it covered in dust or worse dust drops when it rains.....

how inconsiderate.....

Raj

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026-1.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

Well that shut me up! :)

Should be illuminated on the road, but I can't remember the legislation - depends on the signs used I think; also probably right on the limit for traffic management requirements (is it a bus route?!)

Last edited:
:D

Been wandering around with the Nikon taking some evidence snaps. Have now actually seen the notice that was sent out, it merely says "disturbance"

Not sure to my mind that covers a 18ft-long hole that extends from my garden wall to halfway into the road, with the ensuing mess and dust. There's a load more of this down on the junction with the main road too, which makes getting in and out a right pain.

It's not a bus route, but still quite a busy closed estate (3 cars per min at peak times). Also a major pedestrian route (3 schools within 1/2 mile), yet no pedestrian signs whatsoever where they've blocked off the pavement. The mini digger was sticking out into the other half of the road while in use, forcing cars onto the kerb to get past. They've even managed to leave the end of the jackhammer stuck in the ground, perfect for someone to impale themselves on if they tripped.

Last edited:
I'm confused as to quite what the problem is.
Can you get vehicular access onto your property and does this work reach onto your or anothers property?

Is the working area cordoned off so as to restrict pedestrian access sufficiently?

It looks like they are replacing the corroded gas main before it leaks and need access at strategic points for connections.
Utility works do have to be done sometime and they always cause some inconveniece and mess, if that damages your property you are entitled to claim for compensation.

Other than that I can't see the issue here.

Should be illuminated on the road, but I can't remember the legislation - depends on the signs used I think; also probably right on the limit for traffic management requirements (is it a bus route?!)

I think illumination depends on the class of road, a none classifed road such as this doesn't require illumination afaik.

Last edited:
Nice looking Civic. Looks like an import. Does she fly?

I'm confused as to quite what the problem is.
Can you get vehicular access onto your property and does this work reach onto your or anothers property?

Is the working area cordoned off so as to restrict pedestrian access sufficiently?
When I got home their plant equipment was actually IN my driveway, and I had to lose my rag to get it moved after polite requests were ignored (see 4th pic - cordon has been moved over to open up drive). The hole they have dug extends right up to the edge of it, so that the barrier is right on the edge of the hole - any further away and I wouldn't be able to get the car in. Equally it also severely restricts access for my neighbours, the ones opposite now cannot get their car in/out without resorting to bouncing up and down the kerb, and a 4-point turn.

I readily accept that it is going to be a messy process, however with no warning as to the extent of the works I had no opportunity to move my vehicles out of the firing line. At least now being aware, I can prevent any further problems by moving them well out of the way, unlike the poor sod whose car they've been dumping the spoil right next to at the end of the road.

In terms of site practice and regulations, I'm not a civil engineer so can only go on the advice given by a couple of good friends who are. My area is now properly cordoned when they left, but only after I picked them up on it. Other areas of the site further down the road are less so, I'm not sure my area was either while they were working. In areas where the pavement is completely blocked, no specific pedestrian signage or guidance is present where I am told there should be - this includes by a busy main road.

Their opinion was that it appeared poorly planned, and that the impression given in the letter (which only some of the street received) didn't properly convey the works intended...but that impressions for you. I'm mainly hacked off because I wasn't warned, which means the Civic got plastered; and because even if I had received the letter, it certainly didn't mention anything about blocking drives and parking plant equipment on them, which frankly it should have done - if necessary a specific letter for those affected. The rest of it just doesn't help matters. Clean up the car, warn me if you need to block or park stuff on my drive again, and I'll be happy.

Vibes - yes it's an import, and yes it does fly.

Last edited:
Well, phoned the council first thing this morning and spoke to a very helpful person on the streetworks team. It appears I'm far from the only person to have complained. Someone's cage has obviously been rattled as someone turned up about half an hour ago with a shedload of extra signage, barriers etc. :rock:

just be ready for a bloke in a dodgy big beard dressed as a Policeman or Council Official with a clipboard..

ohh hang on... he's no longer with us :(

Slightly OT but they are cleaning the "Cross" on the forecourt of Charing Cross station. I've never seen such a scaffolding structure in my life ... totally enclosing it, with barriers, safety netting, warning signs, etc. and the station forecourt closed to all vehicles. It must have taken them 2 weeks so far and they haven't started the cleaning yet! A few years ago it would have been a couple of blokes on ladders and it they'd have done it in an afternoon :D

Slightly OT but they are cleaning the "Cross" on the forecourt of Charing Cross station. I've never seen such a scaffolding structure in my life ... totally enclosing it, with barriers, safety netting, warning signs, etc. and the station forecourt closed to all vehicles. It must have taken them 2 weeks so far and they haven't started the cleaning yet! A few years ago it would have been a couple of blokes on ladders and it they'd have done it in an afternoon :D

And we wonder why things are so expensive these days:rolleyes: . No idea how high up this sign is but would not a very big cherry picker have done the job with people working from the bucket?

Does seem a tad excessive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom