Im going to buy a Hyundai !! Id like your thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My partner Jan has a Hyundai Coupe which she bought some three or four years ago - it is on an X plate which makes it about 10 years old . The car had two owners recorded , both from the same family , having been mother's car , then daughter's .

When she first bought it there was a rattle from the timing chain , which I spotted before the deal was done and the used car dealer promised to rectify this - only didn't and , against my better advice to walk away the car was still bought ! New timing belt/chain and tensioner fitted by local garage ( Hyundai twin cam engine has a strange arrangement with first cam belt driven and second cam chain driven from first ! )

I had also pointed out a weak synchromesh on second gear ( but was told by SWMBO that it was just me trying to drive the car too fast !!! ) now the car often baulks at second . This surprised me on a car with , at the time of purchase , less than 50,000 on the clock .

Apart from these two faults which would have put me off any car , the car was reliable enough for the next couple of years .

The first problem to arise was a loss of engine oil - when I checked there was nothing on the dipstick - further investigation revealed the sump had corroded through and had to be replaced .

Next was a loss of fluid form the power steering system - turned out to be a corroded pipe .

At some point within the last couple of years , the rear section of the exhaust system had to be replaced .

Then the car stopped firing on one cylinder - at first we were told compression was down on that cylinder and I was thinking valves or rings ; then garage told me a new set of plugs/leads and a coil pack had cured it ! Car goes into local garage for these jobs as Jan can't wait for me to look at it 'when i get round to it' , besides I really don't like working on anything other than MB or air-cooled VW .

Latterly the battery failed , but I think it was the original one so not too much to complain about .

Lately , it seems to be a new problem almost every month , so the car will be disposed of at some point this year .

Sadly , I have reached the conclusion that Hyundai's are much like most Japanese cars in that they will work reliably for the first few years of their life , then they will reach a point where EVERYTHING just starts to fall apart - unlike a Mercedes-Benz which can still operate reliably at 20 , 30 or more years of age .

You just don't see many 'oriental' cars more than about 10 years old running around , yet 20 year old Mercedes-Benz are an everyday sight .

The missus wants a 4x4 as we have to drive over fells to get to school, and the recent bad weather has seen off a few of the other mums.

You don't necessarily need a 4x4, Hugh, just 4 wheel drive.

My Celica GT4 is brilliant in the snow, the 4 wheel drive making it a go-anywhere vehicle limited only by ground clearance.

Have you thought of something like a Subaru Forrester? I'm sure that this would be a much better drive than a Santa Fe, even the new one.

Last edited:
A mate of mine in the States has a Santa Fe, it's 12 months old with a 3.x litre petrol and auto box.

Excellent car to drive, very refined and smooth, very comfortable, not as much space inside as you'd think though. The deal that sells these over there is the crazy warranty, it's either 7 or 10 years with unlimited mileage, and of course, they're cheap to buy in the first place compared to the domestic stuff and the european imports.

Yep, I'd agree with that. Rented a new Santa Fe in the states at the back end of last year and found it to be first class. A good reliable car

Because of replies I went to see a Renault Grand Scenic today....mmm not to my taste.
Going to see Peugeot 4007 tomorrow and the HYundai.
Will let you know ( however turns out the missus really likes the Hyundai!)

I also rang a garage owner pal of mine who says the Hyundai are getting stronger and he would have no problem selling a 3 yr old one.
He also said I mustn't use my car as part ex... something about saving VAT off the cost of the new car... I think I get what he means ( as well as other obvious reasons)

Go in as a cash buyer he says, get there lowest price and walk away. Gives you time to think and them time to ring and offer you something extra. If they don't you've lost nothing!

My father found the cheapest online price (Drive the deal) and asked the dealer to match the price. Dealer had no problem with that.

Because of replies I went to see a Renault Grand Scenic today....Peugeot 4007 tomorrow...

Got to be the Hyundai if that's the other choices. In three years time only the Hyundai will have a warranty; two years worth too. Hyundai are getting better and better but French cars will always be s***.

Yep, I'd agree with that. Rented a new Santa Fe in the states at the back end of last year and found it to be first class.

Just be careful about how similar it is to the model sold here. I've no idea on Santa Fe, but some identically named cars are quite different, and US SUV's are usually very softly sprung and run on much deeper (ie not as low) profile tyres than seem popular here.

I always hire a big SUV when I'm in the States and love the relaxed way of driving, but they'd probably fall over at the first roundabout if driven over here!

I own a Peugeot 4007 the worst car I've ever driven, the tyres don't grip even in the dry, it's hopeless in the snow but the good news is I only paid £16,500 brand new for the gt model(top spec) I've been offered £16,250 as a trade in on my new merc so all in all not a bad years motoring!
And you can't get 3 child seats in one the rear two seats are worse than hopeless.

HJ, have you considered something like this?

Auto Trader UK - MERCEDES-BENZ R320 CDI SE

4WD, plenty of room, OK it's not new so warranty may be an issue but it's a lot of car for the money - someone else has already taken a big hit on depreciation. Our old finance director had one, it's a huge car but not a bad drive at all.

I've no idea what the Santa Fe is like but I had an i10 as a rental car a couple of months ago and it was utterly horrid. Cheap and plastic doesn't begin to describe the interior - and this from a man who drives a classic Subaru Impreza..

Cheers,

Gaz

FWIW
We have had a Tucson from new 2005 and the thing has never missed a beat. It is the older oil burner which is a tad slow but it does the job. transports the kids and their rubbish, goes where a lot of stuff won't as we keep horses. Was great this winter where my other motors wouldn't even move off the drive...it plodded through everything!
In fairness it is still in extremely good condition inside and out despite the hammer it gets and it stands outside in all weathers.
Fuel economy isn't great we get 32mpg but it's all local stuff.
We had a LR before and it took a while to stop looking in the mirror every two seconds to see what had fell off this time:eek:
We have paid for 3 tyres and front pads in 5 years and 50K miles of motoring, beat that!
The new Santa Fe is a great motor for the price and you get a good spec. The warranty is very good and shows they have faith in the product.
I have tried to convince my Mrs to keep the C class rather than me sell it, but she refuses to change from the Tucson and frankly we would miss the praticality of the thing.
After 5 years of use we would give it 9 out of 10.
They have come a long way IMO
:thumb:

R320CDi 4-matic sounds like it could fit your needs rather well...

...but don't buy it from that particular vendor without eyes wide open. Don't want to contravene any forum rules on naming and shaming but i'm sure if you were to google them you'd soon find out all you need to know.

Never driven one...

But they are always popular with the Caravan Owners... :) and get good reports.

I like them as they look a bit like my ML

:)

I had use of a new petrol Santa Fe last time I was in California, to begin with I was totally against it, until I sat in it an drove it down the PCH. OK so it's not a Mercedes, but then Mercedes still don't offer a 5 year warrenty out of the box...

I'd still have one, yes I would want to buy the more prestige car, but the Santa Fe would win for longer term ownership.

think its hundi ?

Absolute mixed opinions, seems to be like living in the North...best kept secret and all.

I went to see a Renault Grand Scenic today....mmm not to my taste.
Going to see Peugeot 4007 tomorrow and the HYundai.

I'm not surprised you didn't like the Scenic. The 4007 is of course a Mitsubishi with a better engine. The S-Max is worth looking at (although the lack of a spare wheel ruled it out for me).

Make sure you check the cushioning on the middle seat. With the transmission tunnel on the X3 I've found the centre seat is noticeably harder than the outer 2. I realise you're putting seats on it but just a thought for the future when the small ones grow out of it.

Update:
Had a test drive. a first I was a little disappointed, not the torque I was expecting.
This car has more torque than a 911 and the one I had seemed rather lacking.
Luckily, Ive read a lot and realised the dealer had given me an old model ( registered in Jan but the older engine).
So as this is a main dealer I asked him for a drive of the showroom model. The actual model I m interested in - no problem and I was soon enjoying a rather nice new 2.2 diesel engine.

Now heres the thing - its not German, its never gonna be German, its not ever ever going to say the words " Ich wünsche ein Liebfraumilch."

However compare it to a Jap model and hey presto youve got a race on your hands, and to be honest, its as good as any Jap car Ive driven, in fact better!

Lets see what the real price is and then compare that to another makes model.

My partner Jan has a Hyundai Coupe which she bought some three or four years ago - it is on an X plate which makes it about 10 years old . The car had two owners recorded , both from the same family , having been mother's car , then daughter's .

When she first bought it there was a rattle from the timing chain , which I spotted before the deal was done and the used car dealer promised to rectify this - only didn't and , against my better advice to walk away the car was still bought ! New timing belt/chain and tensioner fitted by local garage ( Hyundai twin cam engine has a strange arrangement with first cam belt driven and second cam chain driven from first ! )

I had also pointed out a weak synchromesh on second gear ( but was told by SWMBO that it was just me trying to drive the car too fast !!! ) now the car often baulks at second . This surprised me on a car with , at the time of purchase , less than 50,000 on the clock .

Apart from these two faults which would have put me off any car , the car was reliable enough for the next couple of years .

The first problem to arise was a loss of engine oil - when I checked there was nothing on the dipstick - further investigation revealed the sump had corroded through and had to be replaced .

Next was a loss of fluid form the power steering system - turned out to be a corroded pipe .

At some point within the last couple of years , the rear section of the exhaust system had to be replaced .

Then the car stopped firing on one cylinder - at first we were told compression was down on that cylinder and I was thinking valves or rings ; then garage told me a new set of plugs/leads and a coil pack had cured it ! Car goes into local garage for these jobs as Jan can't wait for me to look at it 'when i get round to it' , besides I really don't like working on anything other than MB or air-cooled VW .

Latterly the battery failed , but I think it was the original one so not too much to complain about .

Lately , it seems to be a new problem almost every month , so the car will be disposed of at some point this year .

Sadly , I have reached the conclusion that Hyundai's are much like most Japanese cars in that they will work reliably for the first few years of their life , then they will reach a point where EVERYTHING just starts to fall apart - unlike a Mercedes-Benz which can still operate reliably at 20 , 30 or more years of age .

You just don't see many 'oriental' cars more than about 10 years old running around , yet 20 year old Mercedes-Benz are an everyday sight .

I bought a 1996 Hyundai Sonata 3.0V6 last year to do a job. basically do 800 miles fully loaded with luggage and passengers.It cost £350.... I was dumbfounded! Everyting worked,cruise,air con was freezing,superb sound system,excellent auto box..I ended up keeping it for a time,it went straight through its MOT and I sold it to the first buyer at a profit..after covering over 4000 miles with me with NO hiccups.

I spend all day every day repairing cars and I would ENCOURAGE anyone to consider Hyundai,and Kia for that matter. The new Sportage is very very nice.

Way down at the bottom of the list would be anything French..and the X5 is a real troublesome thing too..we look after several and they are an absolute nightmare!

Just had a look at the spec - very nice for the money - but rather surprised that no telephone system or sat nav is offered as an extra even...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom