Im looking at buying a CLK..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

380SL

Car
1983 380SL & 1998 CLK230 Kompressor.
We already own a 1983 380SL and its a fantastic car but its mainly my wifes car. I like the look of the CLKs and am in the process of selling my MK2 Scirocco and Audi A4 to fund the new motor and wondered if you good folk could offer any advice on what to look out for,or models to avoid. Im aware of the corrosion issues on the earlier models. From what ive seen over the last couple of weeks, it looks like my budget will allow for a 2001-2003 model. I've heard that the tiptronic autos are best avoided, how true is this and what sort of fuel consumption can i expect from a 230 or 320 ?
Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers.:thumb:

My 320 gave me low 30's on a long run, but more typically it was high 20s on average.

Rust on the arches and failed MAF were my gremlins.

If I could do it again I'd go for a V8 as Steve mentioned.

V8 every time , prices are good now.

Not quite sure where 'avoid the tiptronics' comes from , but it's nonsense. It is a great gearbox. All facelift auto cars are tiptronic , and you can only buy the 320 , 430 and 55 in auto.

Either a 230 K or if your brave a 430 or 55 AMG
worlds your oyster at the mo at todays prices

Good luck

Thanks for the prompt replies folks. As you can probably tell, i'm still finding my feet with Mercedes model ranges.:eek:

Definitely go for automatic. The 5 speed tiptronic is excellent. If you can stretch to a late 2003 build then the body will be galvanised. Ours is late 2003. No sign of corrosion. No problems in the 8 years we have had it.

look at w124 convertibles too they are sought after and nice sold alternative

Many thanks guys, much appreciated. One im looking at in particular is a 51 plate 320 auto, its black, with grey leather done 74.000 mile with FSH. Its in beautiful condition, with only a couple of very small scabs appearing on the rear arches. Its on a forecourt and the guy wants £2800 for it. Ive seen cheaper ones about, but they weren't in as good a condition.
Thanks again.

My 230k gets 40 mpg on a long steady run. Recently did just over 3100 miles around Europe which returned 36.1 for the whole trip. Supremely comfortable and capable cars. :thumb:

Daz

My 230k gets 40 mpg on a long steady run. Recently did just over 3100 miles around Europe which returned 36.1 for the whole trip. Supremely comfortable and capable cars. :thumb:

Daz

Jesus. That's good going ....

I can get 30mpg on the motorway if i drive like i've got Miss Daisy in the back.

@380SL , the 320 sounds nice , but before you commit , at least have a drive of a V8 one. I've had a 320 before i got the 430 and the difference is just incredible.

Jesus. That's good going ....

I can get 30mpg on the motorway if i drive like i've got Miss Daisy in the back.

@380SL , the 320 sounds nice , but before you commit , at least have a drive of a V8 one. I've had a 320 before i got the 430 and the difference is just incredible.

Doing 70-80 on the motorway mine regularly returns around 31-33mpg :bannana:

@380sl the 5 speed tiptronic box is one of the best mercedes never made ;)

Last edited:
Ah , ok , i thought you meant 40mpg on the motorway.

Ah , ok , i thought you meant 40mpg on the motorway.

I did originally, if I sit at 60mph for a while it slowly creeps up, best I've had is 40.3mpg

Daz

Many thanks guys, much appreciated. One im looking at in particular is a 51 plate 320 auto, its black, with grey leather done 74.000 mile with FSH. Its in beautiful condition, with only a couple of very small scabs appearing on the rear arches. Its on a forecourt and the guy wants £2800 for it. Ive seen cheaper ones about, but they weren't in as good a condition.
Thanks again.

Or a V8?

1999 MERCEDES-BENZ CLK 430 Elegance 2dr Tip Auto Coupe

Having owned a w208 320 cab & currently own a cls 500(388bhp v8)i'll give you my opinions on both(albeit yhe v8 is a cls & not a clk but will be comparable on mpg,performance etc).The clk 320 v6 is a lovely smooth autobox engine that averaged 26mpg over the year i owned it,it's a lively performer reaching 0-60 in just under 8 seconds.The main things to look out for on w208's are rust around the boot lock & all 4 arches,crank position sensor & maf failures & for some reason the aircon system suffers from various failures(blower motor,condenser etc).I can only give an opinion on performance/economy on my v8 up against the 320 clk & after a year of ownership it averages 22mpg(4mpg less than the 320) but performance wise the v8 is on a different level with 0-60mph in about 5 seconds(plus the v8 soundtrack that comes with it)insurance wise i only pay about £60 a year more than the 320 but tax is £460(about £200 more than the 320),servicing is about the same.Summing up,if you can afford the extra running cost of a v8 then theres no choice-be warned if you drive the 320 & a v8 you will buy the v8;)

Once again, thanks for the info guys, this is all the kind of stuff i need to know. Brilliant.:thumb::thumb:

Cheers.

Mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom