I'm made it back but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
I've made it back but...

I made it back from Croatia but..... the car didnt :eek:

After a great trip down and three weeks mooching around in the sun, I ended up flying back, leaving my poor W124CE in Slovenia.

Nope, nothing went wrong, in fact she behaved great throughout, the only concern was the fact that 500 miles of autobarns flat out used up about half a litre of engine oil.

What happened then I hear you ask?

Well, I found a chap who is going to do a comlete respray of my car for a price I just couldnt refuse. I checked out his spray booth...or bubble to be precise, and was well impressed, all the latest kit, loads of knowledge and also a close friend of the in laws, so I know he'll do his absolute best to get it how I want it.

We've decided to stick to the original dark metalic green but to stick to one shade rather than having the lighter lower half and at the same time update the bumpers to the later colourmatched flavour by buying a new post-93 pair ready primered so the whole car will be one colour like on the later MB's. He's going to do a complete windows/sunroof out job with the whole car stripped right back and each removeable part sprayed up as separate items. The paint has been ordered from MB and is the exact same *Cellulose* paint as the car had 12 years ago (now almost impossible to get hold of). All the chrome that is marked will be replaced with new and any rust found under the paint and the rusty panel replaced or if necessary, the section cut out and a new section welded back in, so hopefully no chance of any rust bubbles appearing. The sprayer assures me that the paint job will be as good as factory and will last accordingly.

Interestingly, we found a little anomaly with the MB paint codes. There are two shades of green....very close shades but slightly different that both share the same name and paintcode. Both are listed at MB but there is no reference as to which is which. Consequently, he is going to order some extra paint for me to take home in case I eventually find that AMG 'Hammer' rear spoiler I have been looking for for so long and will need to get a perfect colour match. This anomally probably explains why the panel that had been repaired at some time in the distant past was never quite right.

For the time being I'm going to have to ride about on my bike but on the 13th (sat), Im flying back out to Slovenia, picking the car up and driving it back hopefully in time for work on the Monday morning. Cant wait :)

Last edited:
Welcome back. That respray sounds like an opportunity not to be missed. How did you get on with your Sat Nav?

Ride safely.

don't scare me like that!

can't wait too see!

Sat Nav worked a treat apart from the fact it didnt mention the French close most of the border crossings on a weekend night...I ended up trying three separate border points before finding one that I could cross...wasting nearly four hours time - you live and learn huh?

The only other difficulty I had with navigation was once I hit Slovenia and Croatia which my Infomap mapping software didnt cover. I ended up using Microsoft Multimap which was really crap and on top of not even showing half the roads, it invariably placed me up to a km off target on the map....just great when your looking for a motorway junction up ahead that you've actually just passed 20 seconds ago. Mebbe its deliberately inaccurate for that part of the world or something.

The car certainly caused a bit of a stirr around those parts, I dont think they'd ever seen a RHD car let alone one with a laptop fixed in the centre console with Sat-Nav. Whenever we went past people we took great pleasure in watching peoples expressions when to passers by it seemed that the driver forever had both hands out the sunroof. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping for a double deal as I'm probably getting a whole new set of kitchen doors made up ready to shove in the car for my return leg. (only one slightly dodgy bit which is the border between Slovenia and Austria....the rests all EEC)

BTW, anyone interested in a new 4 bed house with an acre of land within a five minute drive to the nearest Ski-lift and an hour and a half of Trieste (a cheapo airline destination) for under £15k? No takers?

Last edited:
Welcome back Sp!ke, missed you at the GTG mate.:rock:

Hope to see you at the next one whenever that is?:rock:

What problem are you finding getting an AMG 'whale tail' ?

As I understand it, you can order the AMG body kit directly from Mercedes-Benz dealers.

You know I guess, that Mercedes made an official E36 AMG Coupe
(W124) 1994 to 1996.

You can therefore order replacemet body parts for this standard
production car.
It maybe that you need to find someone in the club who owns a model with the standard factory AMG kit and quote their chassis number to the parts man.

I will be interested how you get on.

Regards

David Williams E320 Coupe 1995 (W124)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom