I'm not generally a cynic but.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevieb15

Car
98 sl 500, 90 w126 500se, 03 CLK 320 Convertible, 90 W124 CE300
So Mark Cavendish is BBC Sports Personality of the Year......with a quite remarkable 49.47% of the vote, no I just don't believe it.
The fact that most sports fans couldn't pick him out of a line up is almost irrelevant, but true, I just can't believe that in a field of ten, one gets half the votes.

I'd class myself as someone who's very interested in sport and even I had to think where I'd heard of him.

Bizarre isn't it?
We had the football on and didn't watch it, but when it came up on the news three of us, all sports fans, just looked attach other for enlightenment, and when I read in today's paper he'd got 50% of the vote I thought "this can't be true"

When someone said the Manx Missile it clicked then. Certainly his name did not register immediately with me.

Twitter, Facebook, & Red Buttons remain an uninteresting mystery to me. True I have a FB account but I am not a big user of it. Perhaps this is what feeds voting power now?:dk:

Bizarre isn't it?
We had the football on and didn't watch it, but when it came up on the news three of us, all sports fans, just looked attach other for enlightenment, and when I read in today's paper he'd got 50% of the vote I thought "this can't be true"

Is cycling a sport?

I thought it was just an exercise that proper sportsmen do?

Edit; I thought either of the two golfers Luke or Rory were nailed on to win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good tactics by the "selection panel" - put 3 golfers in to split the armchair vote...
That said - the winner has achieved something quite remarkable - a Brit winning applause in France!!

I'm not a avid sports follower, but I know who Mark Cavendish is. I also knew who the two cricketers were, but at that point I give up.

I always wonder where the word 'personality' comes into play.

It seems like years, maybe decades, since a genuine personality was nominated. Or is 'personality' just a noise word in the title?

More like Sports PERSON of the year, but definitely not personality. Jackie Stewart, Graham Hill - they were personalities. Andy Murray? Leave it out!

I have no idea who Mark Cavendish is, let alone recognising him. Household name he is not. Has he got a personality (I don't know)? :dk:

Last edited:
The voting for the final ten was by telephone only. BBC Sport - Sports Personality of the Year - SPOTY Voting & Judging: Terms & conditions 2011

The Manx government has invested heavily in communication infrastructure [banking and finance] . http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/government/ccservicedeliveryplan201011.pdf

Perhaps this enabled more people from the Isle of Man to register their votes compared to other parts of the country due to telecommunication congestion issues? :dk:

Last edited:
Who cares?

Why not Cardiac Surgeon of the year
Teacher
Dinner Lady
etc.

Who cares?

Why not Cardiac Surgeon of the year
Teacher
Dinner Lady
etc.
Probably because non one would pay to watch them work