I'm really starting to loathe my 18" AMG alloys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep, you can be as careful as you like, chances are by 5-6 years old diamond cut alloys will have corrosion in places that will have never seen contact with a kerb.

Quite often around the wheel bolt holes where even the slightest of knocks can cause pin sized damage that just spreads.

View attachment 86754

Never had diamond cut , never will .

Yep, mine have this disease as well all around the centre caps.

For the other posters reassurance, for me personally, I find the key issue is the inability to judge the position of the vehicle correctly whilst reversing. On every other car I have driven, it ended up EXACTLY where the mirrors told me it was, but with the S204 its never straight or anywhere near where I think it actually is. I have not had this problem with any of the many cars I have owned over nearly 27 years of driving, most of which have had alloys of various diameters. I even had a Ford moldy hole about 15 years ago with big alloys and low profile tyres and never kerbed that once!

I will definitely look at the alloygators, thank you for that suggestion. I am getting the wheels refurbished soon and they will not be diamond cut this time lol. Not quite sure what colour to go for though with the car being silver, I do like the look of the shadow chrome that others have mentioned.

It's a well known fact that diamond cut alloys have a unique compound within them that is known to have a hyper-magnetic effect for compound materials, especially those that go to make up kerb structures. When the wheels are within 5cm of any raised object, especially kerbs, the attraction is similar to a pair of ultra-strong neodymium magnets and no force on earth can keep them apart.

I have noticed this effect in my S213 20" wheels. :D

This effect reminds me of an airfield I used to fly RC aircraft at. It had a monument to the troops who flew over to Arnhem in WW2 at the end of the runway and it also had a giant magnet inside it that attracted every model aircraft to it like they were an iron filing;););););)

View attachment 86754

Never had diamond cut , never will .

Opps , forgot I had the 28K miles Golf Mk 1 GTI convertibles diamond cut alloys powder coated white , but that colour brought it's own issues as there weren't any low dust ceramic pads back then , so ended up with some sort of brake disc to wheel face condoms , lol .

Opps , forgot I had the 28K miles Golf Mk 1 GTI convertibles diamond cut alloys powder coated white , but that colour brought it's own issues as there weren't any low dust ceramic pads back then , so ended up with some sort of brake disc to wheel face condoms , lol .

Was that those big discs you put behind the wheels to stop the dust? I remember those things lol

This effect reminds me of an airfield I used to fly RC aircraft at. It had a monument to the troops who flew over to Arnhem in WW2 at the end of the runway and it also had a giant magnet inside it that attracted every model aircraft to it like they were an iron filing;););););)

A bit like the only tree near any RC airfield........

Well, I just had an experience about an hour ago that made me yell in anger. Waze directed me down a road. I had about 6 vehicles behind me. And then the road narrowed to one of these things designed to prevent heavy goods vehicles from going down the road - cone shaped funnel into a single narrow corridor with pillars either side on the kerb.

It looked too narrow and I didn't want to go through. I waited about a minute until the cars started honking at me and then had no choice but to go through: impossible to back up because of the cars behind me, impossible to turn around. I put the side looking cameras on and went through at about 1mph. No chance. Trashed the front left rim. Turned the wheel ever so slightly to the right thinking I'd misjudged it by a centimeter. No such luck - trashed the rear right rim. I wanted to cry. The kerbs were really high and didn't just destroy the diamond cut edge but also scuffed the rim face.

Cue £400 and 3 days of no car to refurb one 19" and one 20" matte black rim. Moral of the story. If you have a C63 and 19/20" rims, don't use Waze. The dumb app directs you down stupidly narrow roads. Five minutes after I trashed my rims, it did exactly the same in another road, except this time I was able to turn around since it was a dual-gated road that was quite wide with big driveways either side.

Frail effeminate alloys. Jewellery to drag through the gutter until trashed. Not as butch as imagined. An obsession that you're welcome too.

Well, I just had an experience about an hour ago that made me yell in anger. Waze directed me down a road. I had about 6 vehicles behind me. And then the road narrowed to one of these things designed to prevent heavy goods vehicles from going down the road - cone shaped funnel into a single narrow corridor with pillars either side on the kerb.

It looked too narrow and I didn't want to go through. I waited about a minute until the cars started honking at me and then had no choice but to go through: impossible to back up because of the cars behind me, impossible to turn around. I put the side looking cameras on and went through at about 1mph. No chance. Trashed the front left rim. Turned the wheel ever so slightly to the right thinking I'd misjudged it by a centimeter. No such luck - trashed the rear right rim. I wanted to cry. The kerbs were really high and didn't just destroy the diamond cut edge but also scuffed the rim face.

Cue £400 and 3 days of no car to refurb one 19" and one 20" matte black rim. Moral of the story. If you have a C63 and 19/20" rims, don't use Waze. The dumb app directs you down stupidly narrow roads. Five minutes after I trashed my rims, it did exactly the same in another road, except this time I was able to turn around since it was a dual-gated road that was quite wide with big driveways either side.

I'm sorry for your £400 loss! Yeah - I wish I could also say to Waze to 'minimise speed humps' too. I'd rather wait in a 5 mins more traffic than all the wear and tear of accelerating, decelerating, and all the suspension wear and wear that Waze can subject you to in order to save 3 mins. I actually prefer my old COMAND for most things!

I'm sorry for your £400 loss! Yeah - I wish I could also say to Waze to 'minimise speed humps' too. I'd rather wait in a 5 mins more traffic than all the wear and tear of accelerating, decelerating, and all the suspension wear and wear that Waze can subject you to in order to save 3 mins. I actually prefer my old COMAND for most things!

I'll definitely start using Comand more in future. I was using Waze as I just drove back to London from Solihull and I like the mobile camera and safety warnings that Comand doesn't have. I should have switched to Comand the second I went off the A40 though as I know Waze has a tendency to route through speed-humped and narrow roads. Let's say "lesson learned"

Hopefully I can get a better price on the rims as my mate has a supercar garage and he said he'd get it done for me at trade prices. They use Lepsons for all their rim work, so the quality of the refurb should be top notch.

I oftem wondered why Waze does not have an option 'minimise use of roads with speed bumps'.

I have standard 16" wheels so not worried about the rims, but I just dislike driving over the darn things. I really don't mind a longer route.

Oh, and width restriction bollards.... with s narrow passage between two tall kerbs :(

Interesting that you had an issue with Waze, I was in Salisbury a couple of weeks ago, and TWICE it tried to send me the wrong way down a one-way street FFS. Why do all these traffic measures seem designed to destroy car wheels and suspension rather than guiding road users. Its beyond belief.

With regards to my own "issues", I had a go in my mates 2017 E class estate the other evening, and I had zero issues reverse parking it (not using the camera), it was perfectly straight where I wanted it to be, so half of my problem must be with the S204 shape/mirror placement. This could explain why I have had so many problems near curbs that I never had before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom