I'm such an idiot!! Two questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
Today has not been a good day.
Having previously done the rear arch mod on my R230, sealed the C pillar seals to prevent water ingress into the boot and although my boot has never leaked, I thought I would complete the SL preventative tasks to stop water getting in the boot and killing the PSE pump. I started by raising up the PSE pump so it's not sitting on the boot floor and then set about removing the seal at the bottom of the rear window. Seal removed fine, roof up and down a few times to work out what goes on with the seal and why they leak, and then disaster. I have only myself to blame for leaving a ruddy great eveready torch in the boot. A torch which, as I was lowering the roof, I left in the boot. The C pillar then hit the torch as the roof was going down and my pristine SL now has a dent. It maybe small but the car was straight as a die and now it isn't. If someone else had caused this damage I could deal with it, but I only have myself to blame and that's what annoys the hell out of me.
I'm so finicky with cars I really don't think it could be repaired to a standard I would be happy with. I'm pretty sure it can't be knocked out from inside as the C pillar had a closed cavity and is not single skin. A fill and paint job would be rubbish as they will never match up the silver right and I will see the masking lines too, and then there the overspray all bodyshops leave all over your car... Grrrrr. These paint less dent guys any good?
Also, I previously used some silicone on the rear window seal which I now need to remove to reseal. Does anyone know if the 'No Nonsense' silicone remover will attack rubber or will it be ok?
I'm not a happy bunny today. :doh::fail:crazy::wallbash:

I have used an outfit called fixadent who cover surrey, sussex etc. Cant find the guys number now but he is really good and I am very fussy like you.

There are some supreme dent guys out there with all sorts of great tools and tricks for this kind of repair. Spend time on Google as well as here you will find somebody.

Good luck. Don't beat yourself up too much.

Thanks guys. I feel a bit better reading your replies. Managed to clean up the silicone from the seal - 2 hours with a plastic scraper, so at least the seal can go back tomorrow. Just washed it and its hanging out to dry (indoors)

And to top my day off the Dyson packed up whilst hoovering Billy Benz

A panel beater I once knew used to tackle double-skin dents by drilling a small hole (or two) at the centre of the dent, then welding on a hook to it and pulling out the dent. Finally welding shut the hole and smootiong the surface with a minimal amount of body filler. I doubt this method is still in use today though - it was very time consuming .

I looked at the fixadent website and his work looks impressive. It seems they can 'pull' a dent out instead of pushing from behind by gluing a plastic tab to the area and pulling. Think I will send the guy a photo to see if it's possible and see what he charges.

This method works. Has it done on a door where there was a double skin. Perfect result.

Sounds good. I looked at the website and it's quite impressive (and relatively cheap). The dent is small and not too deep. About the size of a 2p coin.

I have also head of a form of "cupping" that involves a sucker and heat. The principle being to create a vacuum that will pull out the dent.

All clever stuff that should get you sorted out.

I Have seen the glue and pull method on you tube looks all good to me, i am a fuss pot as well i think i would go that way, but i must say i had a dent guy come around and get a supermarket dent and scratch out and sprayed it in and you still could not see anywhere any mark after 2 years, Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom