im thinking of buying a g wagon ????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have owned a 280GE which under any driving conditions did 15mpg or 16mpg with the caravan on the back, a diesel will do about 25mpg. Having said that, the G was certainly one of the best cars I have owned. The early models had a front bumber made of 6mm thick C section angle so no deed for bull bars :D I also did some off roading with mine, and the diff locks and low ratio box selector would go anywhere.

BBC News - Gunther Holtorf's 23-year road trip

Gunther Holtorf and his 500,000 mile journey around the world | Digital Trends

gunther-holtorf-650x0.jpg

Definitely want a G before long, but there's a mixed bag out there in various states of decomposition.

I assume parts will break the bank if one were to go the route of restoring one over finding a good one?

Some, but not all parts can be pricey, if you went for a rebuild it could be ruinous.

Have you looked on the GWOA site, there are a few on sale at the moment. I'd definitely drive a few first, 300 petrol's can be economical with LPG, but they're a tad underpowered.

Personally I'll jump at the first decent 463 500 that comes along without a telephone number price tag.

I have owned a 280GE which under any driving conditions did 15mpg or 16mpg with the caravan on the back, a diesel will do about 25mpg. Having said that, the G was certainly one of the best cars I have owned. The early models had a front bumber made of 6mm thick C section angle so no deed for bull bars :D I also did some off roading with mine, and the diff locks and low ratio box selector would go anywhere.

You've got lighter shoes than me, I never got more than 15mpg from any of the 280ges we had, the fuel consumption was pretty much the only negative of running one.
We converted one of them to diesel with the 603 3.0 diesel and although it was very slow, it suited the G and it's character I guess.
Between the family we've had 3 lwb and 2 swb, all have been brilliant and body rust has been the only reason for them eventually being retired from service.

I now have a 4.7 jeep grand cherokee with the optional quadradrive 4wd system which was cheap as chips. It's pretty unstoppable off road and tows 3 tonnes comfortably. On the road it's much better than the G, faster, more comfy and returns 25mpg when driven steadily. It lacks any presence like the G though...

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but isn't the Toyota Landcruiser the most over enginnered 4x4 on the road ? If i remember correctly the engine is developed from a toyots truck engine and if looked after are known to be able to run for 1000000 miles.

The Arabs have a saying "If you want to go into the desert take a Land Rover if you want to come out again take a Land Cruiser "

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but isn't the Toyota Landcruiser the most over enginnered 4x4 on the road ? If i remember correctly the engine is developed from a toyots truck engine and if looked after are known to be able to run for 1000000 miles.

The Arabs have a saying "If you want to go into the desert take a Land Rover if you want to come out again take a Land Cruiser "

Is this a serious question?

Wow, 620k miles...there are stacks of mercs that have made that and many more miles. It's an impressive amount though.
Anyhow, your first remark was about preferring a defender? !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom