im thinking of buying a g wagon ????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang

Car
ml 270 brabus d4,
hi all .
I currently have the ml 270 cdi brabus . got all the brabus bits n bobs and have had it for 7 years now , am still enjoying it . but no enjoying the depreciation of price . I looked at the g wagon "then" when I paid £18k for my ml and it wouldn't of gone down half as much as the ml. so me and the boss have decided that when the time is right we will buy a g wagon and enjoy them holding their price more. I also really like the retro look .

so I just watched the episode of wheeler dealers the other day when they did up a j reg wagon. they said something about it being a good year to buy for its current shape ? so any g wagon gurus out there who can advise me on what to look for and what not to buy . question below from me

I want a diesel and don't mind if its not a common rail new type. just not a sluggish pig though

I do like the swb but as we are expecting a baby soon and have a dog and im 6ft4 the lwb will be more practical

I am handy with motors and can do most jobs so I don't mind updating or face-lifting one either.

what age is a good one to buy from ?

is there any issues I need to look out for ?

should I be buying one ?? are they ok ?

sorry for all the questions but I expect I will be owning this next merc for another 7+ years .

basically what do I need to know?

thanks all

Shaun

I remember that the original 300D G-Wagen was the slowest-accelerating car Autocar had ever tested

Nick Froome

You will pay 30k for a good one... then 10k bringing it to 2013 spec... but it will be worth 30k again in 3 years... has your ML really done that much worse in real terms... or only in %....

This is a serious question, but why are they so expensive?

anyone else on here a guru ?

red baron . I paid £18k 7 yrs ago and be lucky to get £8k ? for my ml

also I have just sent it in to a friend for rust on all 4 door bottoms and above the reg plate ( all talked about usual places ) expected more to be honest . one or two doors ok but every one and the boot. so I am over the flash lark . now want a nice solid truck that wont loose too much ( which they don't seem to do ) they are rated the most successful 4x4 of all time ? apparently.

budget of £16k max . but could spent that then slowly add bits bringing it up to newer looks. but im not going to go too mad. im over all of that.

what should I look out for ?

good years ?

good engines ?

cheers Shaun

from what I have reviewed and seen . they have been very clever with the shape in not changing it too much . its not been too much in the lime light over the years ( only more recently footballers etc ) but from what I have seen they don't break. built to army standard . are tough . and seem to not be bought and sold all the time. most have low owners but always have tons of miles. engines seem to be bullet proof . and come with all of the mod cons. air bags. electric everything. auto or manual. diesel petrol. swb lwb . seems you can always find the exact truck for your needs.

Give me a loaded Land Rover Defender any day of the week !!

your kidding right ??

they are awfull . guy across the road is a farmer and uses it as they where designed. he owns cattle and has a trailer etc. 1 truck is for best and the other is for work. they where for ever going wrong. suspension issues. electric issues. power steering issues. brakes. you name it he has had both vehicles go wrong. if they aa weren't out it was a surprise

he sold them both last month for next to nothing and now has a Isuzu lwb 2012 crew cab pick up truck with a rear pick up cover and tail gate. says it tows better. better mpg. more comfortable. he is 6ft6 so as im 2" shorter im interesting to know the ride . he lost thousands on the land rovers. I had a izusu tropper and it was awesome. amazing engine. just always go back to mercs. I don't do much 4x4 so wouldn't need all that. I just don't want to lose loads on deprecation but like the ride of a 4x4 truck. not wanting the x5 or Porsche 4x4. fed up with ml's so I like the retro look . and g wagon fits the bill

Built in a very old fashioned way in Austrian plant with high labour costs? Some might see this as a virtue but must inevitably add to production costs? :dk:

[YOUTUBE]pkwJ9MSDXU0[/YOUTUBE]

your kidding right ??

they are awfull . guy across the road is a farmer and uses it as they where designed. he owns cattle and has a trailer etc. 1 truck is for best and the other is for work. they where for ever going wrong. suspension issues. electric issues. power steering issues. brakes. you name it he has had both vehicles go wrong. if they aa weren't out it was a surprise

he sold them both last month for next to nothing and now has a Isuzu lwb 2012 crew cab pick up truck with a rear pick up cover and tail gate. says it tows better. better mpg. more comfortable. he is 6ft6 so as im 2" shorter im interesting to know the ride . he lost thousands on the land rovers. I had a izusu tropper and it was awesome. amazing engine. just always go back to mercs. I don't do much 4x4 so wouldn't need all that. I just don't want to lose loads on deprecation but like the ride of a 4x4 truck. not wanting the x5 or Porsche 4x4. fed up with ml's so I like the retro look . and g wagon fits the bill

Defenders are not very nice to drive or to try and fit in. They do have reliability issues with some engine/gearbox combinations but suspension issues? I have never heard of this. What could go wrong they are so simple and very rarely require any form of attention, If he sold his defenders for next to nothing that is a very poor move on his part. Last year I put my 96my up for £10k and it went to the first veiwer. G wagons and Defenders look after your money better than anything else, including Landcruisers.

Built in a very old fashioned way in Austrian plant with high labour costs? Some might see this as a virtue but must inevitably add to production costs? :dk:

[YOUTUBE]pkwJ9MSDXU0[/YOUTUBE]

wow , what can I say . I have just finished a 12 year mustang build. and that has impressed me. not chucked together like modern todays crap. built by hand I have found out mostly. I have found a great g wagon forum. seems the w463 chassis is the one to get, new type and still in production. will go on there and ask some questions.

cheer's all

Defenders are not very nice to drive or to try and fit in. They do have reliability issues with some engine/gearbox combinations but suspension issues? I have never heard of this. What could go wrong they are so simple and very rarely require any form of attention, If he sold his defenders for next to nothing that is a very poor move on his part. Last year I put my 96my up for £10k and it went to the first veiwer. G wagons and Defenders look after your money better than anything else, including Landcruisers.

not sure. just always heard him moaning about them. didn't hold his money well. and no offence but they seem to get robbed for parts around my area . but the g wagon aren't used by that type of thief. so donar trucks aren't needed as much . seems they are a acquired taste of which hold on to them and when re sold the next enthusiast's excepts the build quality and that it wont lose tons of money.

seems farmers love them. obviously not my neighbour but I know of plenty who have them so must be ok. sure all have faults. just seems the g wagon is in a different league. not higher or lower . just a different type of owner and use. not really a common farmers vehicle.

I am patient so will research what I need to buy and wait until it turns up. don't think my ml was go down much more in a year or so.

cheers

not sure. just always heard him moaning about them. didn't hold his money well. and no offence but they seem to get robbed for parts around my area . but the g wagon aren't used by that type of thief. so donar trucks aren't needed as much . seems they are a acquired taste of which hold on to them and when re sold the next enthusiast's excepts the build quality and that it wont lose tons of money.

seems farmers love them. obviously not my neighbour but I know of plenty who have them so must be ok. sure all have faults. just seems the g wagon is in a different league. not higher or lower . just a different type of owner and use. not really a common farmers vehicle.

I am patient so will research what I need to buy and wait until it turns up. don't think my ml was go down much more in a year or so.

cheers

Yeah theft of defenders is a big problem. G wagons are much more secure.

I have to say I have driven as far as West Africa in a Defender, If I was to do this again a G wagon or old landcruiser would be my only choice as i can actually get comfortable in them.

I love it when people compare defenders to G wagens... hahah not even in the same universe.

They are expensive because they are built like tanks and are relatively popular given their production numbers.

For £16K you will be looking at an early 90's model. Be prepared for a more basic driving style and not a lot of power.

The later 500 V8's are over 25K at the moment.

Working Farmers' attitude towards vehicles is pretty non sentimental in my experience. They are looking for a reliable workhorse which they expect will go to the knacker's yard after several years of intensive daily use. If it breaks down its " unavailable for work" which I believe is the primary characteristic they look for in a vehicle. That and the vehicles "performance envelope" = load carrying+ go anywhere ability + ease of DIY repair/servicing for simple faults. THIS ALL AT THE LOWEST PRICE THEY CAN FIND!!! Many farmers might look at a vehicle and admire its engineering but dismiss it out of hand because of its purchase price and servicing costs. The best loved utility vehicle for farmers was the late lamented 4WD Subaru pickup--- they were f'ugly -rusted away before your eyes --but went anywhere and reliable as a Fordson tractor. The tailgate was a nice height too-- Imagine loading a sick ewe and lamb into the back of Toyota Hi Lux in the middle of a freezing night or bales of hay on a snowy morning in mid December and you will get the picture. The Aussie's called em Brumbies

sc_subaru_pickup_7.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely want a G before long, but there's a mixed bag out there in various states of decomposition.

I assume parts will break the bank if one were to go the route of restoring one over finding a good one?

I think coming from an ML, an older style G wagen might be a bit too agricultural, the newer ones are great though and personally I like the old ones too.
Defenders are pretty good but watch out for not having anywhere to put your right arm!!.

Personally I think at the moment an earlyish Disco 3 would be a good shout depreciation wise, yes it will drop but it's going to be a very slow drop now, especially looking at the price of Disco 2s still, then you have a modern,comfortable and capable 4x4.

I've just bought one.

A 1987 SWB G280 with LPG

It needs a little body TLC but which one doesn't

The underside is immaculate. The drive is like no other 4x4. Solid and dependable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom