iMac Email problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldcro

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range Rover Sport 3.0 HSE
Having listened to Mac owners advice I gave my Dell PC to my neighbour and bought an iMac 3.06GHz with 4GB memory. Luckily I have kept my Sony Vaio laptop.

I am now in the process of learning how to use the iMac and am having a problem with the MAIL programme. I can send and recieve mail no problem, and rarely use the PC laptop. All the mail I open on the iMac remains on the server, so when I use the laptop I have loads of mail which I have already read on the iMac.

How do I set the iMac so all mail is deleted from the server once downloaded? The laptop does this but I cannot find a way to do it with the iMac.

I'm very pleased with the iMac so far, although some commands are very different and just hope I still enjoy using it when the novelty wears off.

Thanks in advance for any assistance given.

oldcro

go to your mail preferences (apple-, is the key combo), select accounts at the top, make sure your mail account is selected on the left hand side.

then go to the advanced section and the 3rd item down is "remove copy from server after retrieving a message" and after it is a drop down. it defaults to "after one week", just change it to "right away".

I've not tested this as I use imap for my mail, I just set up a dummy pop3 account to see :)

hope that works.
dave

go to your mail preferences (apple-, is the key combo), select accounts at the top, make sure your mail account is selected on the left hand side.

then go to the advanced section and the 3rd item down is "remove copy from server after retrieving a message" and after it is a drop down. it defaults to "after one week", just change it to "right away".

I've not tested this as I use imap for my mail, I just set up a dummy pop3 account to see :)

hope that works.
dave

Thanks fyonn, that looks like the answer. I've done as you said so that should be another problem solved. My problem is knowing where to look as the Mac OS is so different to Vista OS.

Cheers

oldcro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom