iMac problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldcro

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range Rover Sport 3.0 HSE
I was just listening to some music on Utube not touching the computer when it went dead as if the power failed. After about 10 minutes trying it suddenly came back to life as if nothing had happened, except when logging in to this forum my name and password had to be re-entered. I have not checked what else may be wrong yet and wondered if anyone can shed some light on what the problem could be.

I hate it when something like this happens as I now don't trust the iMac, and rely on the computer so much.

Details of the iMac are:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.30f1
Serial Number (system): VM832TMM0KM
Hardware UUID: C30B73C9-BCFA-52D9-BF72-ED27420EF6E1

It might be an indication of a fault in the SMPS power supply.

Mine did this and I thought nothing of it until it suddenly went off and didn't come back on. New power supply required.

Ideal warning to back up all sensitive stuff and then look at putting in a new supply. Won't do any harm and will give you back the confidence in your machine that you need.

It might be an indication of a fault in the SMPS power supply.

Mine did this and I thought nothing of it until it suddenly went off and didn't come back on. New power supply required.

Ideal warning to back up all sensitive stuff and then look at putting in a new supply. Won't do any harm and will give you back the confidence in your machine that you need.

Good idea to back every thing up, I have a Iomega HDD attached which hopefully is backing everything up. Will investigate replacing the power supply, is it an easy thing to change once the correct one is found?

Edit: Should have read more carefully wont apply to a desktop.

Last edited:
I presume it wasn't a glitch in your domestic electricity supply ?

Edit - I know where you are located , but if the unit is still under warranty , it might be worth dropping it by an Apple reseller for a checkover ( or at least telephoning wherever you bought it from and reporting this ) .

PS - Apple Store due to open in Aberdeen soon , if that's any help .

Last edited:
I wondered that, or dodgy power supply, but the fact that passwords needed re-entering leads me to believe it's more complex than that. That's why I asked if the date was reset (internal battery can fail causing this).

I thought about the battery too , but doubt that Oldcro's machine is old enough for this to be likely .

I didn't even realise iMac has a battery. Or any desktop. But thinking about it how would time and date be right without one. Doh :doh:

I presume it wasn't a glitch in your domestic electricity supply ?

Edit - I know where you are located , but if the unit is still under warranty , it might be worth dropping it by an Apple reseller for a checkover ( or at least telephoning wherever you bought it from and reporting this ) .

PS - Apple Store due to open in Aberdeen soon , if that's any help .

Unfortunately out of warranty as most things that fail seem to be. Apple store has been open in Aberdeen since the Union Square shopping centre opened, I called there last October.

I am wondering if there is an automatic cut-out if the iMac overheats, because the sides and top felt quite hot to touch. Cannot remember having checked the casing temperature before so will test again after a few hours use. If so could it be a fan not working as I cannot hear one running.

Darn thing is working perfectly now so fault finding is almost impossible to an amateur like myself, but thanks everybody for your helpful advice. Will seek further advice if it fails again.

Apple store has been open in Aberdeen since the Union Square shopping centre opened, I called there last October.

Strange !

There was a press announcement just the other day that it was due to open soon , along with another in Braehead Shopping Centre , Glasgow & another in Edinburgh .

Strange !

There was a press announcement just the other day that it was due to open soon , along with another in Braehead Shopping Centre , Glasgow & another in Edinburgh .

Apparently the Apple store opened in Aberdeen on 29th October 2009, strange for the press to get it so wrong.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom