Impact on MPG whether in W or S mode

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
This week I thought I'd try driving in W mode for the week to see what impact there would be on fuel consumption.

Has anyone else tried this or have an opinion on what the results will be?

Makes no appreciable difference to fuel consumption on my C220CDI W204, but using C mode on my wife's SLK 350 does seem to result in a marginal improvement in fuel economy. Personally, I prefer driving my diesel in C mode as it means the 'box is less likely to downshift under acceleration and thus uses the mid-range torque more; on the SLK I prefer it in S mode because it's more responsive. YMMV, as the 'Mericans may say...

I have S and C mode. c mode gives me slightly better fuel consumption on a long run but S is better around town when stop starting.

I thought W just meant it started from rest in 2nd gear and did not affect the performance of the box. I also thought that the box learns your driving style and will hold lower gears for longer if you are fond of keeping your foot exercised.

On my SL, using W mode seems to have resulted in a 20% increase in fuel use :eek:

I'm guessing that starting in second gear and therefore pulling away more slowly means I have my foot on the gas for longer to get up to the same cruising speed...probably combined with the fact that it isnt using the most appropriate gear for the conditions all the time so the engine is labouring more.

Interested to know if others experience the same/

But 20% more fuel though? I dont think I'll be making a habit of it.

In start stop traffic with box in S, you can just use the brake to stop and go, in S you must apply the throttle...thus, more fuel being used. The w and s modes do change more than just starting in 2nd, there is also a change to the reverse gear ratio.

Can someone explain what is C mode? I know S is Standard - W is Winter. What about C?

I have only S and W but I just want to know what ppl are talking about and how is that effecting my car.

Is it just a matter of letter or is there a diffrence in type of mode?

Can someone explain what is C mode? I know S is Standard - W is Winter. What about C?

I have only S and W but I just want to know what ppl are talking about and how is that effecting my car.
C=comfort mode.

20% seems a very large change. Obviously do what works for you, but I wonder if other factors are also contributing. When I used to measure my fuel economy doing the same long distance journey each week I could see a 5-10% change for no obvious reason.

Tried this on my 270CDI, no significant difference in mpg. C isn't too clever around town, pulling out of junctions tends to result in kickdown to 1st anyway!

Tried this on my 270CDI, no significant difference in mpg. C isn't too clever around town, pulling out of junctions tends to result in kickdown to 1st anyway!

You push it to hard. Try to roll slowly on traffic lights.

You push it to hard. Try to roll slowly on traffic lights.

It's the quick or the dead round here! Not many lights controlled junctions so one has to be brisk or you'll never get out.

S mode better for town, 1st gear starts, better for the Torque convertor.

C mode for everything else.

Is that based by MB handbook or based on.....??:dk:

Common sense.

S mode gives you 1st gear take off. C mode gives you 2nd gear take off. Doesn't take the brains of an archbishop to work out which one is better for moving off in, and as town driving involves stop start.

Some prefer the S mode of out of town driving, however, I find, it makes the car too jumpy and eager to change down a gear, and I have 380ft/lb torque to play with. It can pull high gears with disdainful ease and I'd rather stay in 6th gear than it go into 5th then back to 6th when 6th will cover all bases. Remember, the 6th and 7th gears on mine can span a 100mph range of speed. Plenty.

on the 124/129 cars the E setting means it is a more relaxed style of driving as the gears will change up quicker and you will therefore be in a higher gear than is usual for S setting.

Therefore you cannot expect to drive with such verve in E as you would in S.

You need to modify your driving to suit the more relaxed nature of E and take things easy.

I find it very easy to do E in my 124 coupe as it is such a nice relaxing place to be and I drive as if car is in a big bubble lots of space between car in front.

I am able to generally keep up with the flow of traffic OK, as most people just point and squirt in their driving technique, so that means they travel fast off the line but are still sat waiting at the light as I am crawling up behind them.

They have used lots of fuel for that squirt, and I have used little fuel.

So, yes, E is more economical for me, as I have modified my driving style to suit E.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom