Impending doom, or just a glitch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dog68

Car
Mercedes s500
This morning my car got stuck in first whilst in D, i changed into 1st, 2nd, still the same, so pulled over, put it in park, engine off, key out, started again and drove off, and was changing as normal, what could have caused this?

I'd be guessing an electrical glitch if the gearbox worked fine after?

:dk:

If it's an electrical glitch, might be a good idea to disconnect the car's battery for a few minutes to rest the TCM. Well, that's an advice from my IT experience, should be goods for cars...

This morning my car got stuck in first whilst in D, i changed into 1st, 2nd, still the same, so pulled over, put it in park, engine off, key out, started again and drove off, and was changing as normal, what could have caused this?

I had the same on my C270, but it was impending doom as it soon happened again and wasn't fixed the same way.

The good news is the fix was very cheap.

My friendly local indie neighbour brought the laptop home, plugged it in and said "when did you last replace the battery?" I said "never have in 8 years" and replacing it solved the problem. Apparently he was seeing all sorts of funny codes which he put down to electrical fluctuations, and they were confusing the transmission management.

Hope it's a cheap fix for you too.

Jon

First test : the battery. Also, Ive had a weak or old battery affect cold starting [ though the cranking speed was ok...,]

Seriously, as above, get the battery PROPERLY checked. I had this exact same problem.
Battery replaced
got a warning light and STUCK in limp mode.
Got an indy to cure the "low voltage" fault that had stored on the gearbox.

Got Olly to service the gearbox anyway, as it's a good idea, and at the time the car was "new to me" so I had no idea if it had ever been done (turned out it hadn't).

I wrote a similar summay of my woes here:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/120211-w203-c32-not-changing-gear-p0702-a2032672524.html
I thought I needed parts. I actually needed none. . .

I had this when I first got the '43, working at a dealer I spoke to mate, put in on the machine, cleared all the faults after a printout, said this was a short term fix and the problem was the gearbox electrics being compromised with fluid. The repair kit wasn't too expensive, electrics kit, filter, gaskets, ATF fluid, few hours of his time and it was sorted.

Iv'e experienced this also. I to pulled over, turned off the engine, removed the key and started the process again. I had the battery replaced and the problem has gone. Mind you the Varta battery cost me £160.00 :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom